Insulating of boiler return pipe work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new boiler fitted, my only concern is that the boiler inlet pipe work is not insulated, it is too hot to touch, therefore I would have thought exposed pipework of this temperature should be insulated for safety reasons. But also not insulating this pipework will result in at least a 2oC drop in return temperature, possibly higher, to the boiler. I asked the engineer and said he it’s not required. But I have to disagree, in the summer months when the boiler is heating hot water only, the heat produced from this pipe work is 100% wasted and would introduce unwanted heat into the room.

For the amount it costs, IMO this should definitely be insulated.

Won’t be able to use foam for the pipe work underneath the boiler as there’s not enough clearance, is hessian wrap ok ?
F3099456-C8A3-42A5-BBFC-2084616EA2C5.jpeg
7F5BFCEB-DB73-45F2-8A94-F22E00E71BA4.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Common sense should prevail, it's pretty tucked up under there so out of the way.

You don't insulate your radiators because there too hot to touch...

The return temp losing temp is also negligible

If it's part of a bypass, you want it uninsulated.

If not, insulation is 50p from the local diy shop

Common sense should prevail, it's pretty tucked up under there so out of the way.

You don't insulate your radiators because there too hot to touch...

The return temp losing temp is also negligible

Why would I want to insulate my radiators, ??? A very strange reply, if the radiators get too hot I turn down the boiler flow temperature. Heat loss from copper is rather high, it is a very good conductor of heat. With the big drive to conserve energy, I was surprised that during the summer these pipes would be radiating wasted heat. I will insulate them myself, but just thought it would come under the installation regs.

Sponsored Links
If it's part of a bypass, you want it uninsulated.

If not, insulation is 50p from the local diy shop

Its not part of a bypass, simply the return to the boiler, yes I will insulate it, wasn’t sure if hessian wrap wound twice would be as good as foam insulation.

what surprised me is that it doesn’t even have a flow temperature indicator, just turn the knob up for hotter or down for cooler was the instruction. Considering all the fancy wireless smart home systems available, which are quite complex, a simple temperature display wouldn’t have gone amiss, oh well…

You sound hard work, the negligible heat loss from that pipe is conrtibuting to the warming of the house.
I think you're trying to find fault with installer unnecessarily.

You sound hard work, the negligible heat loss from that pipe is conrtibuting to the warming of the house.
I think you're trying to find fault with installer unnecessarily.
Exactly my point, contributing to heating the house in the summer, I am not trying to find fault with the installer, just thought it would be Reg or just something that’s done, now wish I hadn’t posted my question. Thanks
Think we can call this resolved

If it's the return, surely most of the heat has been taken out of it?

Why would I want to insulate my radiators, ??? A very strange reply, if the radiators get too hot I turn down the boiler flow temperature. Heat loss from copper is rather high, it is a very good conductor of heat. With the big drive to conserve energy, I was surprised that during the summer these pipes would be radiating wasted heat. I will insulate them myself, but just thought it would come under the installation regs.

You mentioned about the safety factor, my response was towards that.

If the rads are too hot you turn the boiler flow down, so in turn the return pipe would be turned down to wouldn't it?

As I said, common sense should prevail

The heat emitted from the copper pipe would be negligible even in the summer.

It's tucked out of the way of hands, so the notion of safety is moot, especially as the return pipe is colder than the radiators would be.

You will find none of the pipes are insulated where they run through the floor, and the heat dissipates through the floor still, so even in the summer when you want hot water your still emitting heat through the pipes and the floors.

Edit: reading the thread again I'm sure this thread is a wind up..

what surprised me is that it doesn’t even have a flow temperature indicator, just turn the knob up for hotter or down for cooler was the instruction. Considering all the fancy wireless smart home systems available, which are quite complex, a simple temperature display wouldn’t have gone amiss, oh well…

Did you not do some research into the boiler you were going to have fitted before it was installed? Surely if that's a feature you wanted, you should have checked that your new boiler would have it? This model is about a basic as they come, almost completely featureless with little to recommend it

You mentioned about the safety factor, my response was towards that.

If the rads are too hot you turn the boiler flow down, so in turn the return pipe would be turned down to wouldn't it?

As I said, common sense should prevail

The heat emitted from the copper pipe would be negligible even in the summer.

It's tucked out of the way of hands, so the notion of safety is moot, especially as the return pipe is colder than the radiators would be.

You will find none of the pipes are insulated where they run through the floor, and the heat dissipates through the floor still, so even in the summer when you want hot water your still emitting heat through the pipes and the floors.

Edit: reading the thread again I'm sure this thread is a wind up..
That’s what I thought

Did you not do some research into the boiler you were going to have fitted before it was installed? Surely if that's a feature you wanted, you should have checked that your new boiler would have it? This model is about a basic as they come, almost completely featureless with little to recommend it

Well it received some glowing reviews, I’m not going to be drawn into any more banter, sometimes it’s not a good idea to ask a simple question without getting ‘ smart’ answers…..let’s. call it a day

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back