Insulation advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to start the process of renovating our house. Its a converted railway station, but during the original conversion, for some reason, no insulation was fitted anywhere. In the loft there is plenty, but we are planning to take down the wall linings and start again. I have some questions....

1. I will remove the wall linings (some plasterboard, some lath and plaster), what insulation do I use? The cavities are about 3 or 4" thick. The exterior walls are solid stone.
2. Do I need to leave a cavity between the insulation and the stone?
3. All but 2 rooms have conrcete floors. I can insulation between the runners no problem. 2 rooms have a timber floor on the original joists. The joists are in good condition so I do not intend to have concrete floors fitted. I was thinking about fixing batons below the joists and filling the gap between the joists with solid foam insulation so it does not drop through. Would this be an acceptable method?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Replacement/Installation of such a large proportion of your propery means you'll need to notify building control, and they will also be able to tell you what they'll will accept, might even give you some tips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back