Insulation building reg 'Change'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been living in a new build for a year now, built by one of the largest UK house builders.

I took a call today from the site manager who I have been dealing with for the last 12 months, the jist of what he said is:

'There has been a change in building regs and an insulation company are going to have to come round and add more insulation to the house. It is a fairly big job and will cause a mess but they will put it right'

To me this sounds strange, if there was a change to regs after the house has been built then surely it wouldnt apply to our house. It sounds like they have made a balls up when building the house. Have I got a case to make a complaint and if so, can I claim any kind of compensation for the messing about of taking time off work to be in for the insulation company to come.

Sponsored Links
Look on the bright side, your home will be better insulated when they've finished!

can I claim any kind of compensation for the messing about of taking time off work to be in for the insulation company to come.

Simple thing to do is say you don't want it. Then you can spend the day at work.

In fact, send them around to my house instead, I'll have it.

It sounds like you need to talk to them, tell them your concerns and suspicions, and see if you can get a straight answer from them. If you're right, then in getting your support to put it right, I expect they'll be prepared to come to some sort of arrangement with you.

Sponsored Links
May be some structural failure or other shortfall and covering under the pretence of having to add more insulation, which normally takes less than a couple of hours to lay. When they did mine, they were in and out in an hour, and good job I had mine done as it cost me nothing personally and my house and the one i rent got an EPC rating as well, which is now a necessity if you were to rent a property, normally to get an EPC valuation carried out you could be paying someone around £75.00 to do just that.

Further more the savings in heat loss, saves £££££.

There has been 'no change'. Clearly they have messed up and Building Control won't give them the Cert until the additionl insulation is added.

Sounds like they cocked up, building regs changes are not retrospective so a change would not affect homes built recently.
Will they be bringing there horse and spurs .

Even when reg's do change, those at the less well informed end of the spectrum are allowed some grace in the transition period.
Sounds like a cock-up to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back