Wall Insulation according to building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having my house renovated and ever wall in the house has been taken back to its brick work.

Should any external walls have insulation put on the internal side according to building regs?
i.e. The rear bedroom wall facing the garden

Few rooms used to get really cold during winter and not sure if its a requirement according to build regs or not...

Sponsored Links
If you strip the external walls down to the brick, you will need to insulate them to comply.

I think building regs ask for consequential imporovements if you start mucking about with a certain % of the building fabric, I don't think stripping the plasterboard counts.

Though it would make sense to install insulation backed plasterboard (choose one with a built in vapour layer).

your walls are solid, not cavity, right?

Sponsored Links
If your walls are solid or un-insulated you may be required to provide consequential improvements to the thermal performance of each wall worked on in this way.

The level of insulation required, and how you do it will depend on the specifics of your wall type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back