Insulation of lean to garage/utility roof question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Or more accurately a ventilation question about insulating the roof.

We have a single brick garage/utility room built on the side of our 60's bungalow.

My intention is to insulate the utility part of the structure with PIR board between the joists.

Having previously used this style of insulation fitting in another part of the house I'm aware that a ventilated 50mm gap between the PIR board and the timber roof is required to deal with any condensation created should warm air meet the cold.

I'm a bit tight space wise to cut holes and fit vents so I'm open to ideas/solutions/suggestions.

I've hopefully attached a couple of images to illustrate just how tight things are inside and outside the structure for vent installation.

2018-03-17 15.20.32.jpg 2018-03-17 15.20.39.jpg 2018-03-17 15.21.03.jpg

Sponsored Links
You wont get any through ventilation on that roof - you have not got abutment ventilation at the bungalow wall have you?

The idea of venting a roof is to allow moisture from air that that hits a cold surface to evaporate. If you remove the cold surface you remove the condensation risk. Insulation on the underside deck removes the cold surface.

Sponsored Links
Interesting, so those joists are 120mm deep. If I used 120mm PIR in those spaces how would I finish the ceilings ? Plain old plasterboard?

Also how does this differ from a cold deck style flat dormer roof ? I have insulated 3 rooms upstairs that I assumed needed ventilation so went about creating a 50mm ventilated void above the insulation.

Also how does this differ from a cold deck style flat dormer roof
It's considered a 'hybrid' and a bit of a cheat and is frowned upon by Celotex but accepted by Building Control.

We have just done the exact same thing and added another 40mm across the joists prior to adding foil back (Duplex) plasterboards. We foil tape all of our joints, creating a robust seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back