Insurance while work in progress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I phoned our buildings insurer to notify them that we're intending to have builders on site for a loft conversion. They've added some endorsements to our policy.

1 - increased the excess by £100

2 - Theft & damage is only covered if force or violence used.

3 - No storm damage cover for the duration of the works

Is this standard?

Can I get supplementary insurance to cover storm damage during the period of work?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It's an increased risk for them so they have adjusted things accordingly.

Does your builder not have insurance?
He has public liability insurance but that won't cover me if we get another Storm Eunice and the roof gets blown off will it?

He has public liability insurance but that won't cover me if we get another Storm Eunice and the roof gets blown off will it?
Should also have something like a contractors all risk insurance. If he takes the roof off and damage is caused he must take some responsibility.

Sponsored Links
You get your builder to insure against those risks and to compensate you (reduce the quote) to pay for your own increased premium.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back