Integrated fridge replacing, power source 3m away! Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. We have an integrated fridge that we need to replace. The kitchen and appliances were done by the previous owner. We have looked under the kickboard to find out where the fridge is powered to follow a wire 3m along the floor.
In the cupboard at the other end of the kitchen is the moulded original plug plugged into a socket.. that leads to a junction box which feeds another cable to the back of the fridge.
We cannot get a hard wired spur put in above the unit as we have granite worktops with a 6 inch backsplash up the wall so we are stuck needing a long run of cable.

Do we try to splice in a junction box again after cutting off the moulded plug? Do we try to remove the wires feeding the fridge to create one long cable or do we use an extension lead?

I do have a 3m, surge protected, 13A, single gang extension lead if that would be suitable.
Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Not sure I followed your description correctly but it doesn't really matter.

Just use the extension lead. Perhaps put the socket and fridge plug on a piece of wood in case of any leaks.

Thank you. The current set up is
fridge with new wire to a junction box, wire out of that box is the original moulded plug wire that runs to a socket in a cupboard 3m away.
Wires run along the floor under the kickboard up into a cupboard where a double socket is.

So I could plug the extension lead into the double socket... run that lead under the cupboards and ovens over to the fridge that I could then plug into that extension?

Last edited:
fridge with new wire to a junction box, wire out of that box is the original moulded plug wire that runs to a socket in a cupboard 3m away.
Wires run along the floor under the kickboard up into a cupboard where a double socket is.
Ok. A bit odd.

So I could plug the extension lead into the double socket... run that lead under the cupboards and ovens over to the fridge that I could then plug into that extension?
Yes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes it's very strange. Know the previous owner redid the whole kitchen at once many years ago, why they didnt have a socket put in above the work top I don't know.

I do have a 3m, surge protected, 13A, single gang extension lead if that would be suitable.
If you use that then you'd need to put a 13A plug on the existing lead out of the fridge. Then you would have two fuses of the same value in the supply chain. Not best practice.
Replace what is already there, its perfectly acceptable.

If you use that then you'd need to put a 13A plug on the existing lead out of the fridge. Then you would have two fuses of the same value in the supply chain. Not best practice.
Replace what is already there, its perfectly acceptable.
Everything I have read said that an extension lead for a fridge would need to be a 13 amp one.
So you would recommend we cut the entire lead off the back of the new fridge (don't have it yet so not sure what the wires go into, screwed or crimped.. then replace that wire with new to a junction box then wire in the cable with the plug we have just cut off to go to the socket?

Ok. A bit odd.
Quite a common arrangement although it's more usual to remove the moulded plug, use junction box (or incorrectly with choc bloc wrapped in plastic tape) extend with suitable cable and add a rewireable plug.

OR.

cut the cable, extend using 2 junction boxes to retain the moulded plug.

None of the arrangement listed are ideal but are acceptable if completed with proper products.

Everything I have read said that an extension lead for a fridge would need to be a 13 amp one.
So you would recommend we cut the entire lead off the back of the new fridge (don't have it yet so not sure what the wires go into, screwed or crimped.. then replace that wire with new to a junction box then wire in the cable with the plug we have just cut off to go to the socket?
If a junction box is being added, it only requires cutting off the plug, not the whole cable.
1699539116931.png

As I said not ideal but totally acceptable if done correctly.

No, Just cut the plug off, leave the lead that comes with the fridge as long as possible.
which would mean 2 junction boxes if we want to use the original moulded plug, but if not one followed by cable and a plug of the same amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back