Intergas HRE36/40 or RFC36

I'm no expert but I believe the Xclusive might have appeal if you were concerned about modulation rates. Xclusive and Xtreme seem to modulate down to lower rates than most of the other combis I've looked at (with the exception of Viessman, which I gather has a mod. rate of 1 to 17. I understand, according to the literature, that it's something like 3.6kw as a minimum figure.

If I'm getting this right (and it's very possible I'm not) I think this low modulation rate would appeal to someone such as myself who has a warm, well insulated, house and the rads are often only ticking over or most of them even completely off therefore I don't want the boiler cycling on and off.

BUT
if I'm, gonna have a combi I DO want a boiler powerful enough to fulfil the hot water requirements - hence looking at a 36kw boiler.

Another thing that I thought was in favour of the X series was the hinged expansion vessel. That appealed to me .... surely it couldn't be much easier to change such an accessible item - as opposed to being sited right at the rear of the boiler, or even at the side - it has to be a simple job?

Sponsored Links
Hre36/40 specs:
https://www.intergasheating.co.uk/specifier/products/hre/hre-36-40/

xclusive36 specs:
https://www.intergasheating.co.uk/specifier/products/xclusive/xclusive-36/technical-data/

Is the hre36/40 a better spec than the xclusive36 or am I not reading the specs right?
The Xclusive has 0.5 litres/min higher flowrate with also a lower burner modulation rate down from 8.3 to 3.6. Have this with an Opentherm roomstat and efficiencies are guaranteed. The boiler will sit there and purr on a low light, silently, for a long time. The control system is better, however I can't remember what its prime points were.

Last edited:
Finally had the xclusive36 installed. I do find this is noisier than my old vaillant when the hot water tap is on. Anyone else find their intergas noiseyin comparison?

The Xclusive is a bit louder due to the higher fan speed required to produce the greater modulation range. The ECO RF is comparatively quiet, but of course has worse modulation. I tend to stick to fitting the ECO RF unless the boiler is going somewhere unobtrusive like a utility room or loft. R&D are investigating the possibility of reducing the noise level on the X-range, but nothing confirmed yet

Sponsored Links
The Xclusive is a bit louder due to the higher fan speed required to produce the greater modulation range. The ECO RF is comparatively quiet, but of course has worse modulation. I tend to stick to fitting the ECO RF unless the boiler is going somewhere unobtrusive like a utility room or loft. R&D are investigating the possibility of reducing the noise level on the X-range, but nothing confirmed yet

Oh well... ;)

Finally had the xclusive36 installed. I do find this is noisier than my old vaillant when the hot water tap is on. Anyone else find their intergas noiseyin comparison?
We noticed this initially too (ours is in a large pantry style cupboard in the kitchen) however either it has quietened down as it has run in, or more likely we've got used to it. Certainly when the CH is tickling along modulated right down, I have to open the cupboard to check and see if the boiler is on it is so quiet.

@muggles - interesting what you say about them exploring ways to reduce the noise level. I'm guessing that would have to be either through re-engineering/re-packaging of physical components, or by altering the control software to adjust how the current components work. In other words, it likely won't be something that existing owners will be able to take advantage of.

@muggles - interesting what you say about them exploring ways to reduce the noise level. I'm guessing that would have to be either through re-engineering/re-packaging of physical components, or by altering the control software to adjust how the current components work. In other words, it likely won't be something that existing owners will be able to take advantage of.

It may bes something as simple as adding a silencer to the air intake for the fan, in which case I see no reason why it couldn't be retrofitted, but we won't know for a while of course

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back