Intergas thermostat options?

Sponsored Links
Muggles, you recently kindly advised, in a different thread, about thermostatic programmer options - and introduced me to the Salus RT520RF to use with an Xclusive.

Having looked further I can see they also do a wired one (without the RF suffix)which is still Opentherm compatible but might possibly be a bit simpler? I like simple :D

I also see they go to the trouble of listing boilers that are compatible and, reassuringly, show the Intergas boilers listed there. A nice touch.

As you said before, the Salus 5 year warranty stands out from all the others.

So thanks again for adding to the sum of my (limited) knowledge.

I've looked at the Xclusive installation instructions and see that there is an onboard central heating programmer but I'm guessing people prefer to use the likes of the T3 or T4 or T6 or Salus RT 520 in preference to the ones built in to the boiler? I have the basic Honeywell CM 901 at present and like it very much.

One other thing I spotted was the preheat function (in its various settings). I get the principle of pre - warming the internals thus speeding up the production of hot water at the tap/shower - but wonder where the pre-heated water circulates? Is there some sort of small circuit around the HEX that the heated water runs through? I've never seen the topic raised before.

Am I right in thinking that the pre-heat function could easily be ignored on the grounds of wasting energy?

Am enjoying discovering facts about their range of boilers and feel quite optimistic.

Ta.

If you've got wires in place, or are prepared to install them, then yes go for the wired version. It'll save any potential communication issues.

The on-board programmer isn't very user-friendly IMHO; I've never left it activated.

The preheat doesn't circulate water anywhere - one of the many unique joys of Intergas is that the pump doesn't run on hot water production, significant reducing wear & tear. All the pre-heat does is keep the heat exchanger warm, and there's enough water in there to account for the time it takes for the boiler to go through its firing sequence. It's purely for convenience and does use a little more gas, althoug the intelligent pre-heat program does learn your daily habits and only pre-heats when it expects you to need hot water rather than all the time.

Very much obliged for that .

Yes, thermostat cable already in place and being used so it seems obvious to use it.

Helpful to have it confirmed that the onboard programmer isn't a feature that begs to be used.

Explanation regarding pre-heat is good to know too.

And, finally, sorry that I caused you to make the hi-jack comments on the other thread. Just goes to prove I don't get everything right.

Just to ask if anything has moved on since the above discussion ... in particular re. controlling the time and room temperature whilst using a new Xclusive combi (which is envisaged but not actually installed as we speak).
And still not...
I anticipate a boiler change in the not too distant future
;)

My distant future is getting closer all the time, and I was hoping that this topic would answer the question what programmer.

cos...

If you've got wires in place, or are prepared to install them
I havent.

But I am if I have to. Would rather that than a so-called wireless programmer that has a chuffin great wire running to a mains socket.

Does nobody make a battery powered one?

And even though Im yet to be convinced of the value of being able to tweak my temperature settings using my phone from a beach bar in Goa should I resign myself to having to use an Android app to program whatever I get?

Sponsored Links
There are no battery powered OpenTherm thermostats, no. The two-way flow of information between thermostat and boiler is pretty much constant with an OT stat, so it would burn through batteries far too quickly

There are no battery powered OpenTherm thermostats, no. The two-way flow of information between thermostat and boiler is pretty much constant with an OT stat, so it would burn through batteries far too quickly

Not really correct, there is but we wouldn't support it with a different brand boiler. It's made and set up for our own boilers and is simply battery RF from stat to powered OT/ON/OFF receiver.

Not being an expert with evohome could not the round stat be bound to an OT bridge Muggles?

Not really correct, there is but we wouldn't support it with a different brand boiler. It's made and set up for our own boilers and is simply battery RF from stat to powered OT/ON/OFF receiver.

Not being an expert with evohome could not the round stat be bound to an OT bridge Muggles?
I stand corrected, on both counts - I'd forgotten about the round stat!

There is a third I know of now. This morning I tested the RF EPH combi pack which can be OpenTherm. Works well, you can enable WC if you wish and the boiler supports it.

This is not on an Intergas but on ours it reports or you can define
target water temp
primary flow temp
primary return temp
DHW temp
Flue gas temp
outside temp
modulation
DHW flow rate
system pressure
max heating temp
min heating temp
climatic curve
insulation level of the property
user defined heating setpoint

interestingly the DHW temperature selection can be disabled on the control leaving the boiler as the selector for DHW temperature further muddying the water between master (control) and slave (boiler) as defined in the OT specification.

This is the information the control can report, all boilers may not be able to provide it.

App control is available if you buy the CP4i pack

5 year warranty

I stand corrected, on both counts - I'd forgotten about the round stat!
Do yous mean this

upload_2020-9-25_18-51-34.png

I don whan no steenkin bridge.

I dont want another bleepin box screwed to the bleepin wall with another bleepin socket or FCU used and more bleepin cables.

interestingly the DHW temperature selection can be disabled on the control leaving the boiler as the selector for DHW temperature further muddying the water between master (control) and slave (boiler) as defined in the OT specification.
On my current boiler I have a knob on the front to control the DHW temperature.

Having found where we wanted it to be, we set it, and there it has remained for 17 years.

I cant think why anybody would ever want to keep changing their setting or what advantages there are in being able to do it using a touch screen remote control or a phone from their sofa or a smart watch from a strip club in Bangkok. When are people going to wake up to the idea of doing things only because they are useful not just because they are possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back