intergas rapid control panel status, cold water tap on

Calling a person who has a different opinion to your opinion does not make your opinion any more valid.

I had already realised that the boiler was responding to flow before you confirmed that was the cause,

Counting a few more pulses would further delay the start of heating the hot water but the extra delay before firing would be short in comparison to the time it takes for heat to get through the heat exchanger from flame to water.

Muggles suggested maybe fitting a mini expansion vessel

In hydraulic terms a dead leg with trapped air is the same as an expansion vessel with trapped gas ( nitrogen or air ) except that the expansion vessel has a membrane separating water from gas.

If you truly were the font of all knowledge you would know where the mini expansion vessel goes in relation to the sensor it's not rocket science.

And before you run to the mods please note I never called you names I said you was acting like one - as usual :)

Sponsored Links
And doesn't pose a legionella risk.
HSG274 Part 2 Published 2014

In pressurised systems, a means of accommodating water expansion (caused by the water heating) is required. This is often achieved with the use of an expansion vessel. However, these may not fill and empty where the system pressure and temperature remains steady.

There are several types of vessel available including diaphragm or bladder type, with fixed and interchangeable (replaceable) bladders, as shown below. These internal bladders are often made of synthetic rubber such as EPDM and may support the growth of microorganisms including legionella, so check to see if these are approved against BS 6920. Vessels with a ‘flow
through’ design should provide less opportunity for water to stagnate and become contaminated (as in the latter design).

upload_2019-4-19_8-38-8.png

( admittedly this HSGis directed at commercial/industrial systems but legionella bacteria cannot tell the difference between commercial and domestic water systems. )

If you truly were the font of all knowledge

I truely am NOT the font,

Morning all

I've had time to have a look, all cold water requests are making the boiler go through it's motions, this is for ground and first floor.

If I turn the cold supply off, underneath the boiler and run a cold tap/loo the boiler doesn't fire-up. This I would think is correct?
Don't know if this suggests anything different.

All pipework looks correct, as it's a complete new system, there are no 'dead-legs' (although) there are a couple of stubs left for me, when I lob in the kitchen taps.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Sponsored Links
I had the same boiler fitted last year , it had exactly the same fault as you describe.
The installer had left a 3M x 22mm dead leg between bath and the old hot water cylinder .
Had this removed and the problem was fixed.

If you have a water meter that contains a NRV which can exacerbate the problem. I personally use a small exp vessel.

Strangely enough one of our OpenTherm controllers has a option to delay hot water firing because of this problem. It's not enabled, not described in the M.I.'s and scrolling through all the parameters I've never been able to find it again; the OpenTherm controls are so fully featured down several layers of software we see only a fraction of what is available.

the Hall effect sensor in the turbine doesn't realise it's going the wrong way and tried to fire the boiler.
Tha hall sensor and the aqua sensor on the Vaillant Eco Max would only fire the boiler if running North to South, if the boiler was piped the wrong way round it wouldnt fire, not sure if this was their thinking when making it that way

Thought I'd do a quick update, plumber had put a end cap on a stub... which I've replaced with an isolation valve... problem now sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back