interior paint query

Here from Dulux themselves:
ICI Paints has avoided using the term "microporous" to describe its products, regarding it as a somewhat misleading sales gimmick, because nearly all paints and stains offer some protection against rainwater, and all paints and stains will to a greater or lesser extent allow moisture vapour to pass through them in either direction.

Sponsored Links
We all learn from each other "Growler".

I do love debates, hehe.

I already know about the wording of the Dulux Trade quote. However, usually they have an Date Stamp on there literature.

So with this in mind. Then on the Date an statement is made then it can mean 'from then' i.e. When the statement is made. If you see what i mean.

One example is just recently, Dulux Trade added this qoute on there pdf when using Stabilising Primer over bare/new Render, "NB Do not seal sound, new or bare surfaces". Though the pdf is dated January 2003. What they should have done is made it clear that it was amended and at what date.

Also, Dulux Trade has teamed up with Teknos and they call some of there coatings Microporous.

Growler said:
Third_Eye said:
Yes they did.................

I bought it once 10 years ago and it read Microporous, but then out of the blue they changed it ICI NAD Technology.

Also, Thompsons Damp Seal used to write Microporous but they also have stopped it.

Prove it.

Or is it something else that's just in your head.

Prove it.

Never has it said microporous on Dulux Weathershield Paint.

I cannot prove it. The tin i used was ten years ago. I do not have the tin anymore.

Also "Growler" there is no need for personal attacks with, "Or is it something else that's just in your head."

Of course you can't prove it, because you invented it.

I have a tin from 10 years ago, also I was using Dulux Trade Weathershield system right from the outset and it never was, never has been, has never been stated on any tins, and it has never been claimed to be microporous by Dulux or ICI.

Sponsored Links
Growler said:
Here from Dulux themselves:
ICI Paints has avoided using the term "microporous" to describe its products, regarding it as a somewhat misleading sales gimmick, because nearly all paints and stains offer some protection against rainwater, and all paints and stains will to a greater or lesser extent allow moisture vapour to pass through them in either direction.

Dotn forget this bit further down the page...... :rolleyes:

For example, each part of the Weathershield Exterior Gloss System is formulated to do a specific job, and has a carefully balanced set of properties, including a suitable level of moisture vapour permeability, working together they help to keep the moisture content of the wood below levels at which timber decay can become a problem.

'Moisture Vapour Permeable' is another term for Microporous..

Well what about this bit..
and all paints and stains will to a greater or lesser extent allow moisture vapour to pass through them in either direction.

Now Zampa .. You chose to single out Dulux Weathershield as being microporous. That was your word.

Simple question.

Do you still say that it's microporous :?:

Growler said:
Of course you can't prove it, because you invented it.

I have a tin from 10 years ago, also I was using Dulux Trade Weathershield system right from the outset and it never was, never has been, has never been stated on any tins, and it has never been claimed to be microporous by Dulux or ICI.

I have not invented it.

Also, "Growler" Dulux is the only company that claim the word Microporous is an sales gimmick.

Every other company uses the term. Even Dulux Trade has/does use(d) the term in Partnership with Teknos and they call some of there coatings Microporous.

So, Dulux Trade & ICI does use the term Microporous.

I personally believe Microporous is the correct term used. Though Dulux Trade use the term MVP. Also, Dulux claim that the Microporous is an invented word ! Is all words not invented !

The difference is when Microprous first came to being used with paints it first meant that the Oil-Based Paint is Breathable. This is unusual for an Oil-Based Paint. Cos if you hang an Vinyl Wallcovering direclty over an oil-based non-microporous or non-MVP paint then the miosture from the paste becomes trapped as the the water/miosture cannot pass through the Vinyl & the oil-based non-microporous or MVP paint. This is due to the oil-based non-microporous or non-MVP paint. i.e. the miosture cannot pass through it, as no Microporous or MVP technology was used. So, where Dulux got there qoute from astounds me, as follows.

all paints and stains will to a greater or lesser extent allow moisture vapour to pass through them in either direction.

I believe the problem where the whole Microporous understanding has became confusing is due to paint companies using Microporous on water-based paints. This i believe is an sales gimmick. As all water-based paints allow miosture through them.

Microporous term should be only used with breathable oil-based paints in my opinion.

Third_eye:
I bought it once 10 years ago and it read Microporous, but then out of the blue they changed it ICI NAD Technology.

You've either invented it, dreamt it or lied about it.

Dulux Weathershield has never on it's tins read microporous.

I asked you before to prove it but you can't, I know you can't because it's false.

It's easy....prove it.

I have already answered you question "Growler".

So, i will answer again.

At present i cannot prove it. As explained on previous post.

Though i have proven at present Dulux ICI does use the term Microporous, in Partnership with Teknos.

Growler said:
Well what about this bit..
and all paints and stains will to a greater or lesser extent allow moisture vapour to pass through them in either direction.

Now Zampa .. You chose to single out Dulux Weathershield as being microporous. That was your word.

Simple question.

Do you still say that it's microporous :?:

Simple answer......Yep

Growler said:
Wont waste any more time on you .

Prove it.

"Growler", we all learn from each other. Why burn bridges over a certain discussion.

If, as you put it, "Wont waste any more time on you(me)". Then that is your freewill.

May i explain again though. Thompsons Damp Seal used to write that there Product was Microprous. However, they have now withdrawn the word. They now use the term MVP. This i cannot prove as i have not copied there past litireture. This is the same situation with Dulux.

This makes me wonder if Thompsons Paints is owned by Dulux Trade. Due to the change in there terminology.

Growler said:
Wont waste any more time on you .

Prove it.

Due to me having an discussion with one of my Painter Friends i asked him kindly if he had any old tins of Dulux Trade Weathershield.

Thankfully he had one tin.

It reads as follows on an 12 year(ish) old tin:-

Weathershield Exterior Quick Drying Flexible Undercoat is easy to apply and recoatable in just two hours. It can be used under Weathershield Exterior High Gloss and Weathershield Exterior Quick Drying Satin. Both systems provide a flexible and durable finish with the correct level of MICROPOROSITY. The Weathershield Exterior Paint System may also be used on exterior plastic gutters and pipes, and metal surfaces.

Click on link for the two photos of the Weathershield tin. NB My camera does not great close up pics. The word MICROPOROSITY is below the red paint dot. http://www.uploadpic.net/uploads/691e790bd5.bmp & http://www.uploadpic.net/uploads/d34eba20c1.bmp

However, "Growler" i will get an better pic if you so desire.

Also, go to this link http://www.icipaints.co.uk/products/info/dulux_trade_weathershield_waterseal.jsp as Dulux Trade Weathershield Waterseal as it reads:-

An advanced formula, solvent- based, all purpose waterproofer that provides the correct level of MICROPOROSITY, allowing brickwork and masonry to breathe, while at the same time helping to protect then from moisture and frost damage.

Also, go to this link http://www.dulux.com.pk/PKDLX/moreinfo/download/factsheet08.pdf from advice from Dulux as it reads on page three under 'Which Paint Section':-

Weathershield High Gloss Exterior Paint is used over Weathershield Flexible Undercoat to create a weather-resistant paint system developed to provide longer lasting protection for both new and previously painted exterior woodwork. It contains a special mould control additive to protect the paint film and gives a traditional high quality, full gloss finish. Weathershield Quick Drying Satin Exterior Paint is again used over Weathershield Flexible Undercoat to give a fashionable sating finish specially formulated for exterior use. It gives the correct level of MICROPOROSITY.

So, "Growler" ICI, Dulux Trade & Dulux at present use the term MICROPROSITY for there Products AT PRESENT.

Also, in your own words
The real reason is....that ICI think and say that microporosity is an "invented word"..therefore they do not make microporous paint, therefore Weathershield is not microporous.

So i have presently proven that ICI, Dulux Trade or Dulux use, as they claim, an invented word being MICROPOROSITY for some of there paints !

Fair play Third-Eye:
You done good.

Thing is I'm at the grafting end of things and I recall one job where we'd previously used Dulux Trade Weathershield primer/u/c and gloss and the bloke asked us to go and do it again because he said it'd be a good time to do it as we'd not had any rain for 6 weeks.
Burnt off the front sill amongst others even though it looked in good nick (bit of a show) and it was wet through, the shave hook was "hissing". Now if that's microporous then..............I'm Elvis.

Perhaps they don't claim it's microporous because all they have to do is let some folks claim it for them and sit back :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back