Internal door lining which one. I`m confused rebated? grooved?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i`m in the middle of full renovation and because i`m going to convert my loft build regulation want all the door to be fire rated. As Next week the plaster will come down I have to buy and install the door frame to make sure the plaster will align with it.

As I never purchases a door lining before and found myself in front of several option like plain door lining or rebated and grooved. Cost is almost double on Travis perking.

Which one would be my best option?

Sponsored Links
Number 1 don't go travis perkins they are expensive. Go to howdens.

Need to check the width of the frame
They come in nominal sizes 4¼",5¼,6¼ etc
And ask for a fire check frame. Loose stops are the easiest to fit because you can hide the screws with the loose stops.

You also need to by intermission strips. They come as brush or non brush. Either can be used.

Kind Regards
Phil

the ones with brush (more like soft fur fabric on mine) also block smoke, and draughts and noise, which I find more useful. I find they also slow the door in its last inch of closing, which reduces slamming.

The strips come in a few widths, so buy your door linings first, then order strips to suit. They are self adhesive and it is best to paint the frames first..

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...trol/intumescent-strips/filter/$s=intumescent

Sponsored Links
the ones with brush (more like soft fur fabric on mine) also block smoke, and draughts and noise which I find more useful. I find they also slow the door in its last inch of closing, which reduces slamming.
The ones with the "brush" are called cold smoke seals or combined cold smoke seals/intumescent strips and it"s thr latter type which are required on domestic fire doors. There is another type with a pair of rubber wiper blades instead of the pile which work in a similar fashion. Most are currently either 15 or 20mm (10mm groove casings are no longer sold AFAIK). The OP needs to ensure that if he paints the frame first he doesn''t put paint into the intumescent strip groove as that will result in s strip which sits high and prevents the closer from working fully. The strips grnerally come in 2 metre lengths (so 2.5 per door) and the two common colours are brown and white. Howdens arry them as a stock item. BTW the way you reduce slamming is to correctly install and adjust the door closer - not depend on a strip which wears and beds in over time. For full sound and draught proofing you msy also need to install an intumescent drop sesĺ at the bottom of the door - and in any case this is a rewuirement if the gap beneath the door exceeds 4mm at any point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back