internet problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,the ultimate technophobe here again,
my son has a advent laptop,but has a problem with google.
when he types in a search it always come up 'this webpage cannot be displayed',but, if he types in a web address the internet works fine,so i'm thinking (now there's a rare event),is it something he's inadvertantly done and somehow changed a google setting,any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First of all, what is the FULL name of the Laptop? For example:

ADVENT Roma 1001
or
ADVENT Verona P
etc etc

Do you have a 'User Manual'?

I suspect you HAVE actually lost connection to the internet. I note you say 'if he types in a web address the internet works fine', but can you actually 'surf away' from that page? I'd be surprised if you can. I suspect the reason that you are seeing web pages that he types in is because they are held in the 'cache' of the computer. That basically means the web page is stored on your computer but if he tries to type in the web page then click on refresh does the page actually refresh or does it show 'this web page cannot be displayed'. If you're not sure about any of that, try typing in the name of a page you have never visited before, anything will do....

Here's some examples:

http://www.number10.gov.uk/ I doubt you've been to this one unless you're VERY interested in politics.

http://www.clockswatches.com/ Again, unless you're interested in clock/watch repair you've probably never visited that site.

Try one of them or one of your own as long as you've NEVER visited it before on that laptop. Can you see the web page or are you getting the 'this web page cannot be displayed' message again?

If you cannot see the web page (and I suspect you won't), then the laptop may have lost contact with the router.

If you look at the bottom right hand corner of the screen (near the clock), you should see a little icon that looks like two computer monitors. Does it have a RED CROSS on it? If so then you've definitely lost connection. Float your mouse cursor over the icon. What does the message say when you float over it?

When connecting a laptop to a router wirelessly the laptop connects to the router with something called 'wifi' (you may have heard of that before). Some laptops have a button for turning wifi on and off. Your son may have knocked off wifi. Check that first. If you have a User Manual it will tell you which button controls the wifi. When you float the mouse cursor over the little icon mentioned earlier (bottom right hand corner of the screen near the clock), it may say wifi is off/on. If it says 'OFF' then he's probably knocked the wifi button. It just needs turning back on.

Failing that, are there any other computers connected to the same router? For example are you using a Home PC to connect to this forum? Can you test for an internet connection with that computer using the same router?

If not then we need to find out if the router is indeed connected to the net. Has the router got any red or orange lights on or any green lights off? If so then the router has probably lost connection with the net. Try resetting your router. Some have a small 'hole' at the back (where the wires go in/out). Push a pen into the reset hole. If you can't find a reset hole just unplug the router from the mains for a minute or two then plug it back in. When you plug it back in look to see if all lights come on and are green (or that the normal sequence of lights is on). If you still have a red light or unusual sequence of lights after resetting the router then there is a possibility that your internet is down. You'd need to contact your internet service provider if that is the case but saying as you are connecting to this forum I'm assuming you still have internet at the house?

Once the router has been reset it might be worth restarting the laptop as well and seeing if it connects to the router.

Report back and I'll see if I can be of any further help or one of the other guys will pick it up from here.

WOW,thats what i call a reply,i thought my brain was going to explode reading that little lot.
suprise,suprise,i've just tried his laptop and it's working fine,tried as you said to navigate from google to this site (never been on here with his laptop)and bingo,it worked,i'm writing this reply on it.
at the time it went down,my daughter was using her laptop with no problems and he switched on the home pc which also worked fine,so i can only assume that your initial diagnosis was correct,in that,all that was wrong was that he had lost the connection or switched off the internet button,(its in the centre of the main body just above the keyboard),i'll be honest,i never thought to look at that or check the icon in the bottom right corner,
so thanks for that blas.
that'll be him tucked away in his room for the foreseeable or until he breaks something else,i've never seen as much as in the last few days.

Sponsored Links
:D Glad you got sorted. Don't be too hard on him, us boys will be boys you know?! :D

Back