Interview Tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well..... the Domestic Energy Assessor market is as dead as a dodo, not to mention that it is also flooded with would be assessors too! :(

There is no money in this so have to diversify and even consider working for someone else :eek: .

I have applied for a couple of positions so need to impress at the interview and shine above the competition so.... Can I ask you good fellas for tips on going to interviews from the clothes to interview techniques.

Its been a long time since I have done this :D

Sponsored Links
High heels and something to show your cleavage :D
If you think DEA is dead spare a thought for the Home Inspector another nothing job created by this spineless government :mad:

Sponsored Links
If you are offered an interview ask as early as possible:

The name and position of who will be interviewing you
A copy of the job spec
A copy of the person spec

(large companies will certainly have these)

Study then all so you know what they are (should be) looking for and prepare examples you can give to show that you are this person and have this experience. A competent interviewer will be marking you for your match to these specs, and will compare your marks to those of the other candidates

Ask around for anyone who knows the company (employees, customers, suppliers, pensioners) and pick their brains

Find out what you can about the company (if a PLC you can get a copy of their Annual Report by writing to the Head Office (Company secretary's dept) and you don't have to say why you want it.

You can also use this info to tailor your CV and covering letter

Prepare your answer to the questions

- Why do you want this job

- Why are you the right person for us

and give these answers even if, by the end, you haven't been asked

Have some intelligent Q's ready for when they say "is there anything else you want to know" ("how much holiday" is not a good one)

Be enthusiastic

Engage brain before opening mouth

You will be doing well if you get as far as an interview.

If the company has a web site, be familiar with it & also know what they are involved in, it may help to know directors names.

What you should be showing is that you are interested in the company, not just after a job.

Most of all you need luck.

A good post John , thanks.

One of the positions I am interested in is a trainee adviser with the C.A.B. Should I be looking at any sites that would give me an idea of being the person they will be looking for. :?:

Obviously I do enjoy helping people as being on this site will prove. :D

play footsie with the girl from HR it'll guarantee you a position.

Always ask about the sick pay, holidays, pension and perks.

Ahem.... this is suposed to be what you do NOT ask about until you are actually offered the job according to the employment sites. :D

Matty, I think you'll find his tongue was lodged firmly in his cheek ;)

Sponsored Links
Back