Intruder alarm cable - can we break and rejoin?

more to the point why do trading standards let installers get away with witholding the engineer codes from the owner of the property?

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
more to the point why do trading standards let installers get away with witholding the engineer codes from the owner of the property?

I shall explain.
when a system calls the police, it must be on "engineer reset" so an engineer can acertain why alarm went off and stop it from doing it again, causing another false alarm.

If the customer knows what the engineer code is they can reset it again, it will go off again becasue of the fault NOT being fixed, next thing police refuse to attend.

More modern panels have built in / "bolt on" remote rest units, where by they can call the ARC (explain why it went off) and they will give a code and the ARC will give a code in return that will reset the alarm. This code is based on logarithims, so they change each time.

if a customer is "bells only" and so has no need of engineer reset, then the following applies, as it does to "signalling" sytems

with the engineers code you can gain access to the programming side of an alarm, and basically screw it all up.

that is why customers are not told the engineers code

i can see it to some degree but it also allows for lock in

if your alarm company refuses to give you the codes then you can only use them for anything related to your alarm

major problem if they dissapear or crank up thier prices

plugwash said:
i can see it to some degree but it also allows for lock in

if your alarm company refuses to give you the codes then you can only use them for anything related to your alarm

major problem if they dissapear or crank up thier prices

no, like most things you have choice, if you dont like your alarm co then you go else where.

new alarm co, crashes / reprogs panel, sorted

Sponsored Links
so you can reprogram a panel without the engineer code?

if so then whats the point in having the code at all?

and if you do need the engineer code to reprogram the panel then how is the new alarm co supposed to get it if you can't give it to them because your old alarm co wouldn't tell you?

plugwash said:
so you can reprogram a panel without the engineer code?

if so then whats the point in having the code at all?

and if you do need the engineer code to reprogram the panel then how is the new alarm co supposed to get it if you can't give it to them because your old alarm co wouldn't tell you?

i never said you can reprog a panel without the engineer code, i said you crash and reprog the panel.

the engineer code prevents unauthorised access to the programming. eg, stops the customer screwing it up

as mentioned new alarm co can crash the panel. its easy, but its the re programming that is the pain

breezer said:
not true, you can dissconect either or both of the supply cables to the detectors from the Aux terminals

Mmmm ... having thought about is I suppose it could be a better idea as some bellboxes use the AUX supply for the bell hold-off. However, I am not keen on disturbing the field wiring on old installations unless there is plenty of slack in the panel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back