Ip44 luminaire above a shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine wants to install a light fitting above a shower cubicle. He bought one that was branded 'any zone', but it is an IP44 fitting.

I told him that I didn't think you could use it as there is a likelihood of it coming into contact with water jets, in which case it would need to have a higher IP rating.

Also, in the regs it says any fitting within 2.5m from a cubicle should be made from insulated material. This has a chrome & glass outer. I presume the 2.5m is from the perimeter of the cubicle?

So, in short am I right, or is it OK to use this fitting above a shower?

Sponsored Links
IP44 is fine unless you have an odd shower that fires it's water jets upwards :confused:

also, if the light is mains voltage then you will have to ensure that it is on the RCD side of the CU, or have a RCD fitted inline.
Other option is to make sure it is extra low voltage (12v or similar)

Well, I was thinking along the lines of the shower being used to clean the walls.

Fair enough, I'll let him know that I was wrong. I believe he has an RCD installed in front of both CCU's as when he had an extension added the spraky that did the work added a separate box, and separate RCD.

I'd have to check to see if it has been wired to protect all circuits though. The boards definately aren't split load.

Sponsored Links
Well, I was thinking along the lines of the shower being used to clean the walls.

BS7671 tells you that you need IPx5 fittings where water jets are to be used for cleaning, but I'd imagine that in a domestic bathroom you would not be cleaning with water jets (I'd imagine it being quite destructive!), you might however scrub the tiles with a sponge and use the shower to rinse them off. If however you plan to switch the shower to a jet and hose the ceiling down then I can see that IPx5 fittings being appropiate, perhaps also ask on the building forum about what kind of plasterboard would withstand this kind of treatment ;)

Its unlikely that the bathroom lights are RCD'ed, perhaps you could install an RCD FCU at highlevel outside the bathroom?

It depends on the definition of water 'jets'.

The big book refers to water jets for cleaning purposes. Does that mean power washers, high pressure hoses etc.?

A power shower head perhaps, but a standard gravity fed shower head unlikely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back