iP68 rated connection box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 12V water pump that I am going to submerse in a waterbutt. The cable is a thin 2 core cable. I am going to need to connect it to a longer cable and will need an IP68 connection box.

The only connection boxes I am seeing look fine for a "thicker" three core cable.

Does anyone know if they will work safely with a slimmer 2 core cable? Or can you recommend a safe waterproof connection for such a situation.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
As its only 12 volts you're working with you could simply solder the cables together, cover with a little length of glue-filled heatshrink then 'pot' the joint in a small container filled with silicone mastic.

As its only 12 volts you're working with

The potential difference between the two conductors is only 12 volts. What is the potential between the conductors and the ground and hence the water in the butt ? What supplies the 12 volts and does it ensure that the potential between conductors and ground can never be more than 50 volts ( AC or DC ) ?

Sponsored Links
Unless he's using a fancy (or cheap knockoff) power supply, chances are the output of the 12v supply is isolated from the input so that's not an issue.

Unless he's using a fancy (or cheap knockoff) power supply, chances are the output of the 12v supply is isolated from the input so that's not an issue.
Chances it is isolated. Better to allow for the chance that it might become un-isolated either by bad design or failure of the power supply.

How long is the flex on the pump? Is there no way that the joint could be made outside the water butt?

IMG_1051.jpg

Does the pump have an inlet nozzle that you can connect a pipe to ? If so, there is a novel means whereby you can instal the pump outside the butt using a small feed tank and a syphon tube.

Thanks all for your replies. The power is coming from a 12V car battery which is charged via a solar panel.

How long is the flex on the pump? Is there no way that the joint could be made outside the water butt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back