is 120mm x 20mm ok to use as a door frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just waiting for the materials to arrive on the room renovation upstairs. almost done now with regards to preperation..

all the old boards are up. all cleaned and leveled etc so just untill tommorrow now 'till it all shows up.

but all i forgot to order was the timber for the door frame..

so here is my question:

is a 120mm x 20mm ( 5 x 1 )

ok for the door frame?
i have all the architrave here so it is just that i need to get.. is this the correct size?

cheers guys[/b]

Sponsored Links
just order a door lining set.if its a 75mm stud wall you will need a 115mm lining set and if its 100mm,brick,block,stud wall you will need a 135mm lining set.they will come pre cut to suit either a 2'6" or 2'9" door.not sure of the imperial equivilent as i never use metric doors as theyre less readily available off the shelf.

just order a door lining set.if its a 75mm stud wall you will need a 115mm lining set and if its 100mm,brick,block,stud wall you will need a 135mm lining set.they will come pre cut to suit either a 2'6" or 2'9" door.not sure of the imperial equivilent as i never use metric doors as theyre less readily available off the shelf.

i have been hunting high and low for the kits

i found some at 80+ :eek: more than the cost of 4 of my doors :eek:

found one for 11 quid, but delivery was more than 50 quid ( makes sense eh? :eek: )

how much was yours? and where from?

im looking for untreated knotty ( pref ) pine
to match the knotty pine doors/skirtings etc

cheers

just call any builders merchant and ask for a door lining set,they will ask what width you want.i never look at prices.for a 135mm its £11.99 + VAT from buildbase,norwich,just an example.just called them especially to get you a price.

Sponsored Links
Ordered a 115mm x 20 mm door frame set from the local merchant
machined for 15 quid and hes going to call as soon as its done.

30 x 78 opening, this sound correct?
bcause thats what i ordered

cheers chuckka
been a huge help.

is my order correct?

was a 75mm stud partition
so 115 mm timber needed correct ( x 20 mm )

they are normally 32mm.you should have got it made an eighth to a quarter of an inch wider to save having to plane the side of the door.

dont go any smaller than no7x1" or 4mmx25mm screws and have 5mm sticking out as you need the maximum hold

just went up and measured the door opening
( with no frame )

it is:

830mm x 2200mm ( 86.6 in X 32.6 in )

i ordered:

115mm x 20mm for the frame..
this would make the opening of the door
(with frame)

790mm x 2000mm ( 33.1in X 78.7in )
and my door ( new ) is:

760mm x 1980mm ( 29.9 in X 77.9 in )

did i order the correct frame size? if no, what do i need as he is yet to machine it yet so i can alter it in the morning..

cheers guys :)

32mm wide,the lining.

so order:

115mm x 32 mm

which would equal:

30.1 inches x 74 inches

which would be too short for the door meaning i would have to shave almost 4 inches off the height so 2 inches from both bottom and top.

is there a way around this?

my measurements were for standard size doors of today.didnt realise you had anything differnet.
measure your doors and add on 3-5mm for the head plus 2 thicknesses of the lining obviously.you can cut the height to suit your doors on site if you get them slightly over sized.

I.E.if you door is 830mm,your head needs to be 830+32+32+5=899mm overall and the measurement is 830+5=835mm between the legs.screw through the top into the legs at least twice.get a batten and screw that onto the legs(1 side) about 100-150mm from the bottom to hold it rigid while fitting the lining.once its all fitted nicely,remove the batten.

all the materials arrived today
on a 17tonne truck, so couldn't get anywhere near the house
( we live on a secluded private land )

so it was up to me and the driver to haul all 10 of the

8ft X 2ft t&g flooring sheets about 100 metres to the house
( my back feels as though its snapped )
then he refused to take them in the house so we left the boards in the front garden
along with the batons for the noggins and the skirting boards
( still no word on the door frame though!? )

so my day today:
after the materials arrived and broke my back:

went up, made sure all the joists were clean and free of any nails etc
marked the edges and centres of each joist on the wall so i can still see
were each one is.

about to go up and dry lay half the room.
mark it all out and put noggins were they have to go.
then lay them permanently with screws and glue

i should hav the floor down by tommorow night so i can then put the skirting on etc

so with a little luck, monday i can arrange for a carpet fitter to get over and lay it. ready to put the bed in and obviously get it painted

not glued to the joists dont worry.

i meant glued in the grooves!
to be honest i have dry layed most if it just to have a look, and 90% of joints land halfway on joists (thank god) so i have only got to do a few support noggins.

so im not 100% sure on even pva'n the T&Gs to be honest, as they seem rather secure already so when screwed down i would say they wont budge or dip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back