Is 255 cms too tall for wardrobe doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some wardrobes built into two alcoves in a bedroom. All the off-the-peg companies (hammonds, mfi, etc) have standard height doors, but my ceiling is very high (255 cms) and I don't want to lose that space. Since I don't need any fancy fittings and I want very plain doors suitable for painting to match the walls, I was wondering whether the easiest solution was to ask a carpenter to make some full-height mdf doors, fixed to side panels - as in kitchen cupboards. Is there any reason why 255 height doors would be inadvisable? I don't want the things buckling :oops: Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is abnormally large.

How would you feel about doors, say, 1800 high with additional set of cupboards above them?

Whatever you put in the top shelves will probably never be seen again until you move house, and you had better only put light things up there, like empty suitcases or shoes in boxes, as the things will get very dusty and will fall on your head when you try to get them dowm.

It is possible to paint or paper such wall-to-wall doors to match the walls, but it will need a skilled person to get the doors close and even.

p.s. with wall-to-wall cupboards it is quite usual to have the doors on a frame screwed to the floor and ceiling, and have flexible arangements of shelves and hanging space inside (fixed to the back wall) so you can re-arrange it at whim.

That answers my question very well, John. Thanks. Re your PS, the only reason I don't really want the doors on a front frame is that I want the look to be as seamless as possible. If I could afford it, I'd have Hulsta units but it's not worth forking out their prices for a property I'm probably going to sell on in the next year.

As JohnD says at that height it is usual to have separate top cupboards like these, the main doors are 2250high and the ceiling a little over 9ft.

I dont see any reason why they can't be made from single sheets of MDF as large press sheets come 3050 long. You would need 5-6 hinges per door but otherwise its not a problem. A small scribing strip at each edge and along the ceiling is usually needed as most walls/ceilings are not perfect.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Those cupboards look very nice indeed, Jason. Thanks for your help. I had a look at your other pictures, too - a great collection.

Nick - technically you can make the doors any size you like providing the hinging arrangements are adequate and, if made from single sheet material (as opposed the skinned frames), the material comes in big enough sheets. Not withstanding advice already given in the thread about tall cupboards, if you think tall doors are the look you want then go for it.

If you have access to a router why not make a jig (2 strips of MDF each about 100mm wide and slightly longer than the height of the doors, held together with strips of timber at each end - the gap between the 2 strips wide enough for the router guide bush). With a suitable cutter in the router cut a series of parallel flutes up the doors stopping short, say 120mm from top & 160mm from bottom of the door, to create a panelled look. MDF primer, undercoat then good quality eggshell paint, applied with a radiator roller - they'll look great!

Fit the cupboards out with commercial (shop-fitting) chrome racks, baskets, wire drawers, etc.)

Huge chioce of hinges available including, concealed (like kitchen cabinet jobs), easy mounts, etc. depending on your skill level to fit. Check-out www.woodfit.com for all the bits you'll need.

Symptoms, many thanks. I really do think my life would be a lot easier with a router. I've wanted one for years but never quite got around to buying one. That website's great, too. I'd like to visit the shop but why is everything interesting in the North? :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back