Is 3" enough?

I

imamartian

I need to fix two pergola posts to a wall. The posts are standard 75mm x 75mm, but need to be 12mm away from the wall - so i have got 12mm spacers. Question is, i am using (and i'll change to imperial here) 6.5" frame fixers, 3.5" of which is through the post and spacer, so will the remaining 3" be sufficient to anchor to the wall?

I'm using 3 frame fixers per 8ft post, although the top of the pergola will be bracketed to the wall to add to overall strength.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
i would go for longer than that. Might be ok if you can get a decent fixing, but frame fixings can be a pain. I tend to use thrubolts now

Thanks Thermo. Do thru bolts do the same job? Can i get them longer than 6.5 inch?

or threaded studding. Cut it to length youself.

Sponsored Links
i would go for longer than that. Might be ok if you can get a decent fixing, but frame fixings can be a pain. I tend to use thrubolts now

Can you elaborate on the thrubolts please thermo? ive been looking for an alternative to frame fixings for that type of job.
Is there a thread 'insert' or something similar that you put into the hole drilled in the wall before bolting?

I agree the frame fixings can be a real pain at times and if you dont get a 'strong' fix can be a bit weak for post fixings and the like....

... in the end, they pulled tight to 3.5inch and secured very firmly....

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11468/Fixings/Thrubolts/Thrubolts-8-x-75mm-Drill-Size-8-Max-Fixture-12

that should explain it. I tend to get them from www.toolstation.com as they are cheaper and have a better size range

Ahh, right. Thanks Thermo.

Countersink here we come then if I want to use them to re affix my gatepost to the wall! And presumably I would need to make the hole big enough for a socket as well :eek:

that's all mine is :( Ask her why isn't that thick enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back