Is a 110mm Downpipe going to be enough for 5 houses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having quite regular overflowing of my gutters onto the front of my house (picture on the left) and my bay window (last night it was like Niagara falls!) and I think the main reasons is that there are 5 Terrence houses 30 meters long (about 215²m) running into my 1 x 50mm (or 68mm?) downpipe!
Downpipe.jpg

I have used some calculators and it is saying I need 4-6 downpipes. Other than telling all my neighbors to get the own downpipes, what are the chances that upgrading to a 110mm downpipe will reduce the incidences of overflow. the guttering is 112mm.

Last night the shear torrent of water has penetrate the tiles on my bay window and left a large yellow stain on the living room ceiling :(

leaking roof.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would tell your neighbours to get some downpipes fitted as they causing you problems

I have seen 5 houses on one down pipe before but I wouldn't recommend it are you sure one of the other properties has not removed a down pipe, how do the other properties drain there bays.

it might be useful to have a careful look at the fronts of your neighbours' houses for any signs that original downpipes have been removed. There would also probably be gullies against the houses. I suppose they all still have downpipes from the bay roofs.

You will probably be able to see from the pavement, if the neighbours are unhelpful.

Sponsored Links
Fascia fitters are known to be lazy and do away with refitting a pipe if they can get away with it. Look for a recent fascia job. I may be imagining it but from the right between the 2nd and 3rd house there is almost a shadow/stain vertically up the wall as if a downpipe used to be there.

Then again I went to one of those murder mystery weekends and I was convinced it was the butler but ended up being the bleeding cook!

OK I will scope out the front of the properties. at the rear there is another downpipe between 2nd and 3rd house. (but maybe there never was at the front?) the bay windows all just drain into the front gardens (which also floods my front garden because I'm down the hill). everyone on this side of the road has damp problems, it is all probs cause by this dodge guttering/drainage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back