Is a full bore lever valve the same as a stop cock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not much more I can add - this was suggested earlier, just wondering if it's the same - I thought a gate valve was the same but discovered I was wrong, so don't want to jump to another concluuuuusion!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The main difference is gate valves cant cope with high pressure so let by.

Sponsored Links
What, the full bore has less restriction? What difference does this make, does more restriction have greater force for holding water back or sumin?

Horses for courses, there are places where one or other would be obligatory, or just better.

A stopcock is designed to hold at least 10 bar pressure and were made over 100 years ago.

A gate valve perhaps 80 years ago but are only designed to hold a lowish pressure for isolating circuits and not for isolating mains supplies. BUT, I have found that stopcocls can easily hold 2-3 Bar very well and probably up to 10 Bar without much leakage. Its more what they are intended to be used for than what they will do.

A modern full flow valve has virtually no resistance and in practice will easily hold 10 Bar. Its not strictly correct but its what I use to reduce resistance whenever there is a marginal flow situation.

Tony

Oh right, thx Perfectionist - never even thought of the non return part! :) So less noise, easier to control, full bore is the choice then??

water path through a stop tap (might help you understand)

Oh I totally understand the flow path - just want to know what's best... and permitted within regs, don't wanna be told of by building control!

Oh right, thx Perfectionist - never even thought of the non return part! :) So less noise, easier to control, full bore is the choice then??

I would go for full-bore. They can improve the flowrate by 10% or more. The lower the pressure the more they improve the flowrate.

One isn't always better and some regs demand specific valves.

A stock cock has a loose jumper and can act as non-return valve.
Wrong - for stop cocks made for a few decades now.

Current regs state that full-bore valves are legal on the line into the house.
They are NOT allowed in the regs of 1st July 1999. Has that been changed?

Perfectionist by name only???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back