Is a full bore lever valve the same as a stop cock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
"perfectionist":!: :!: :!:
Then why are you talking rubbish?
You clearly don't know the water regs, so shut up.

Although he likes to talk about boilers and avocates Zenex heat retrievers he does not even seem to be gas registered!

Bit like a young version of Dr Drivel.

OK Perfectionist, would you like to show us that you are a genuine person and join Chris and I for a curry meal on Sunday evening?

Sponsored Links
Then why are you talking rubbish?
You clearly don't know the water regs, so shut up.

Full-bore are allowed. Please don't make thing up - it's very unhelpful to those who are looking for good ideas. A lot of water authorities are replacing with them and they are a joy after the horrible corroded brass tap.

Screw Down Valves (stop cocks). These are intended for use in higher water pressure areas. When you close off the 'high' pressured water, it has to be done gradually, water hammer, blown fittings and joints, etc, etc, can result from just whacking it off or on. Too avoid them 'sticking' when you turn 'em on or off, turn them back a quarter turn!!

Turn the lever occasionally so it does not seize up. It takes 2 seconds.

OK Perfectionist, would you like to show us that you are a genuine person and join Chris and I for a curry meal on Sunday evening?

Meet people from the Internet? Never. Weirdos operate on here and invite people out.

A lot of water authorities are replacing with them and they are a joy after the horrible corroded brass tap.

Piffle! NO water authority replaces stop cocks INSIDE a property.

A lot of water authorities are replacing with them and they are a joy after the horrible corroded brass tap.

Piffle! NO water authority replaces stop cocks INSIDE a property.

Kent were offering a replacement deal some years back to full bore valves.

Under the old Byelaws, the “stopvalve” to a property was normally to BS1010 or BS5433. These are of the screw down type (with rising headworks), which incorporate a rubber washer. The new Regulations no longer specify a type of valve and spherical “Ball” valves may be used. R2.8 states that any valve may be used providing it confirms to an appropriate British Standard (e.g. BSI Kitemarked), or appropriate European standard, or the Regulator’s specification (e.g. WRAS / KIWA UK) and it is suitable for the purpose.

G2.8 makes it clear that spherical valves may be used for above and below ground applications. Indeed the valves supplied by the water company in the meter box are normally spherical.

it is not 1999 any longer.

Meet people from the Internet? Never.

Weirdos operate on here

Has it ever occured to you that some of the people advising on here are genuine people who work in the heating industry?

You are apparently a "weirdo" who hides his identity, does not go to meeting of appropriate associations representing the industry and does not go to the relevant trade shows.

I and a few of the others are genuine people who dont need to hide their identity and actually work in the industry. I give my email address and telephone number! You dont!

Tony

The 1999 water fitings regulations are still in force as they haven't been superceeded ( except in N.I.). They did not only apply in 1999.

The British Standards are also still in force and it's in one of those (6700 ?? - I've forgotten the number) where a screwdown stop valve is required at the entry to a dwelling.
Not all ball valves are full flow and not all have a compressible shaft seal. (Including WRAS approved ones). So they can seriously impede the flow and have no means to stop a leak from the shaft. As there's no requirement on the water supplier to provide a means to shut off the supply to the property (eg at the pavement) it would be silly to use a valve like that.

Corrosion of brass valves? ? They don't corrode. They can dezincify, which is different, if you use them inappropriately, but the design doesn't alter that for heaven sake. That's what DZR or gunmetal valves are for. The usual problem is build-up of limescale, which applies to any valve.

Therefore that bit at the end of your sentence
"and it is suitable for the purpose." precludes ball valves.

Crikey guys feel like i started a war here LOL - and reading this last post, if makes any odd, I 'AM' in Northern Ireland! So how does that wrap things up??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back