Is a powerflush just for the radiators or copper pipes too?

You're right. I can't avoid a proper job. I first posted because the price of new radiators seems so similar to the cost of a powerflush. I understand now that my connecting pipework could still contain sludge.

This post has been a great help to me - thanks guys!

I will have a powerflush and then make sure a maganaclean is installed immediately after to protect the system ready for me when I get the radiators changed in future.

Sponsored Links
... if I can change some of my radiators to new ones and then shut off the other old unused radiators by their valves - and that none of their sludge will enter the new system?
Nope. If the system is dirty, it needs cleaning. End of.
Why are you so scared of a power flush?

I think she's seen the light now!

p.s. if it was me, I would get a Magnaclean (or a Spirovent) installed at the earliest opportunity, and then do a DIY chemical clean myself at modest cost. Then do the powerflush when you are ready for new rads or boiler.

Sponsored Links
If your radiators are old like you say, new radiator construction is different, so a similar size radiator may well be too powerfull.

You need to know what the heat output of current radiator is, then select a new rad with similar output.

Generally you need the highest rad output that you can fit onto the old pipework because modern condensing boilers work more efficienctly at lower flow temperatures.

Most modern rads are at metric lengths and old rads will be in imperial lengths. The differences will mean most new rads will have to be slightly shorter anyway. But current rads have fins to increase the output.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back