Is a powerflush just for the radiators or copper pipes too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have a new combination boiler installed. My copper pipes throughout the house appear sound but the radiators are old, rusty and the TRVs are shot. Basic white new radiators and TRVs come to a similar price as a powerflush. I don't know what the labour cost would be but I assume if I get exactly the same width radiators (or slightly smaller for the imperial sized ones) and keep them in exactly the same place, it will keep the cost of labour down? :?:

If just the radiators are changed with no powerflush, will sludge or whatever it is that would otherwise be flushed still be inside the connecting copper pipe-work or is it something that sludges up only inside the metal radiators? :?:
Thanks

Sponsored Links
powerflush will cost the same as a radiator pack from plumbcentre

but expect to pay the same in labour to replace like for like radiators.

2 radiators have never worked, so would it be feasible to remove those and replace with a single bar of copper pipe as a temporary measure for say a year until the rooms get redecorated and then given new radiators?

Sponsored Links
If your radiators are old like you say, new radiator construction is different, so a similar size radiator may well be too powerfull.

You need to know what the heat output of current radiator is, then select a new rad with similar output.

If your radiators are old like you say, new radiator construction is different, so a similar size radiator may well be too powerfull.

thats a good thing. The boiler can be run at lower temp, therefore more efficiently.

actually I think my system is a sealed system, does that mean I wouldn't need a power flush? or will rusty radiators cause sludge even in sealed systems?

if your keeping the rads then power flush deffently
however if you replacing them then install magna flow or something simliar on old system then drain it refill keep doing this till water fairly clean then start with changing the rads and don`t forget to clean mangnetic device
this works better with hot water

You need to get the pipework clean. You can just isolate unused rads by shutting off the valves tightly. Oversized rads will or rather, can help the boiler to stay in condensing mode.

Get a good quality boiler - there are plenty of posts out there on this topic.

Considering beast like Ecotecplus937

Found something on net called Magnaclean - is that the sort of thing? How to you install it?

You need to get the pipework clean. You can just isolate unused rads by shutting off the valves tightly. Oversized rads will or rather, can help the boiler to stay in condensing mode.

I'm looking for the best way to avoid a powerflush. Do you mean that if I can change some of my radiators to new ones and then shut off the other old unused radiators by their valves - and that none of their sludge will enter the new system?

forgive me, but
I'm looking for the best way to avoid doing a proper job
If you have a dirty system, it will wear out your pump faster, and may clog the new boiler (they are made much narrower inside than old iron boilers) and damage to the new boiler will not be covered by the guarantee, because the manufacturer will specify that it must be installed on a new or clean system

if you have rusty radiators, then you have an old and dirty system with sludge in it.

As for closing off dirty radiators, that is a terrible idea. Old rad valves might not be tight, and the moment anyone opens them (e.g. when the system is being drained or filled, or when a visitor does not know), all the sludge will start to circulate.

You say you have two radiators that don't work. Quite possibly this is because their pipes are choked with hardened sludge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back