Is a shower pump regulated underneath the bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shower pump under the bath.
I had a Stuart Turner shower pump installed quite recently under the bath, on plywood
I'm very nervous using it, Is my shower pump safe underneath the bath
but have no Choice,
Showering Is not a pleasant experience, in fact it's awful!!!
not only that, it makes a terrible loud noise, when switched on.
And already my neighbours have complained.

Sponsored Links
Pumps make noise.

They're fine under the bath apart from the potential noise issue.

Why is the showering experience awful? Is it the performance of the pump? Or are you just being neurotic?

Thanks for your reply.. Dan
It's mainly the terrible noise, sounds similar to a small aircraft taking off,
or British rail, and I'm also aware electrics and water is a dangerous combination, all under my bath? Plus neighbours are complaining I'm drilling
at night when I'm only taking a shower.

Is there any solution to the noise the shower pump makes? such as insolation soundproofing. Would that help..

Sponsored Links
Well, electrically speaking, if having the pump under the bath was a problem, you would have had other problems already with water pouring through ceilings.

As you're in a flat, pump noise should have been discussed with the plumber as part of the sales/consultation.

It is a very big gamble putting one under the bath in a flat with neighbours underneath.

I take it from your description of the noise that it is a Showermate rather than a Monsoon?

There is nothing you can do other than:

• Make sure the hoses connecting the pump to the pipe work are not overly bent and stressed.
  • The rubber feet are intact.
  • The pump and hoses are not touching anything - especially the bath.
  • There is no cavitation inside the pump due to the installer not connecting it to the hot water system properly.

I live in a house, not a flat,
My neighbours bedroom is situated were my bathroom is.
Well, I can't soundproof it then.
Yes, I did have a leak, plumber forgot to use washers, water was dripping through my lounge ceiling, he insisted it was coming from somewhere else, I said 'NO!' I want you to have a look underneath the bath, and there it was, leak from shower pump,thanks to my Persian cat for detecting it, There is no leak now, seems like I can't reduce the noise, I'll have to put up with it. Great!

A Monsoon pump would have been quieter, as would installing it in the airing cupboard where it's supposed to be. Having it under the bath is likely to greatly reduce its lifespan

To ease neighbour disturbance have showers during more social hours.

To consider lowering the noise its necessary to know what is causing it.

If the pipes are loose and flexible hoses used correctly, then all the noise might just be coming through the feet.

The feet are pretty good but where noise is an issue I put the pump on a paving stone which is supported on foam rubber as that pretty much prevents any noise transmission through the floor.

Having a shower in a wet saree usually prevents any neighbours from complaining.

Tony

I have a showermate pump not a monsoon, don't know why the guy didn't recommend me a monsoon. It's not as if I don't mind paying, It turns out I don't have enough room underneath the bath for a concrete slab, and Airing cupboard is too small, there's a possibility I can move it to the loft. Which I am considering. If the installer can put it in the airing cupboard that'll be great! However, I won't know until next week.
I'll get a better quieter pump,
And Pump Matt, which I've been told absorbs sounds, vibrations I could only give it a try. Yes, we only showers before 8pm.

It's also been very difficult finding someone who understands shower pump installation, if they appear confused I know immediately, they have no knowledge. Had one come round yesterday, qualified plumber. No...)
I found one who was recommended,
he will proceed work next week.

It really is important to diagnose EXACTLY where the noise is actually coming from before making any changes.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back