Is a shower pump regulated underneath the bath

image.jpg Everyone I've spoken to, such as plumbers, including the Plumber who installed the shower pump.
Tell me the noise is normal! none of them have any knowledge of reducing the shower pump noise.
It's uncomfortably loud! shakes the house. to be honest, I think it was a waste of money installing it,
There's a lot of plumbers who don't have shower pump knowledge, they don't even know what a pump mat is used for!
And judging by what I've seen on the Internet, I'm not the only one with a loud shower pump. The water pressure is excellent! but the noise, the sound is
awful!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I did ask the plumber who installed it,
if it's positive head or negative head.
His reply, I don't know what that means. language barrier I think.
Tony, my aim is to resolve the problem but unfortunately, there isn't many plumbers with Shower pump knowledge.
They tell me the noise is normal, that includes the manufactures,

Is that pump bolted to the floor?

Shower pumps are noisy but bolted down they become much noisier.

It's bolted on the floor on plywood.
No were else to put it underneath the bath, as there's no more room.

Sponsored Links
You must have room for a rubber pad about 1" thick under the base of the pump. Screw it to the floor through the pad tight enough to locate it but not too tight so as not to transmit noise/vibration

I received a rubber pump Mat yesterday in the post, thing is, my pump is not a good Make (model- Shower mate...
Stuart Turner. Bottom of the range,
I'll purchase a better model next week,
A monsoon or perhaps a salamander.
I had a Plunber who came around, who fits Salamadnder pumps, I just thought I'd get a second opinion, he said that's not regulated underneath the both you get done for that 240 V you'll get electrocuted what you need is a 12 V pump

He said the best thing to do is change the water tank, and do away with the shower pump altogether, his quote was £2000 pounds, clearly his motive is financial, He had no interest in helping me resolve the problem! Kept insisting that my whole house will be affected,
I did say to him the shower pump is only for the shower on the bath, not the whole house. 'He didn't get it!'

Actually, changing the tank for an unvented cylinder probably would be the ultimate solution, can't comment on prices as I'm not a pro.

There's no such thing as a whisper quiet shower pump.

Sounds as if its screwed/bolted to the floor.

Unbolt/screw and place it on a rubber mat or even an offcut of thick carpet.

See what it is like then.

Tony

I really think there should be more training, in regards to shower pump installation. And knowledge on reducing
the sound. The installer who's coming next week to do the work, mentioned putting a carpet down under the pump.
A Really cheap pathetic alternative!!
I don't want that!
As I've purchased a concrete paving stone,
and a pump mat to reduce sound and vibration. I really hope the problem is resolved next week.

Tony, carpet? Really,,
surly the pump mat's got to be better than the carpet. But then again,
I'll try anything, as long as it's fire resistant.

Stuart Turner are the best pumps.

But in a competitive market when their own pumps sell at closer to £500 they have to stay competitive and so they have to buy in some cheap stuff.

You seem to have ended up with their cheap model.

BUT, properly installed it should not be THAT noisy.

I see nothing correct about your pump installation.

I don't see any rubber feet which many come with, I don't see any paving stone. I don't see any foam backed carpet which is actually pretty good.

I would say my rubber feet on a paving stone on foam rubber is about as good as you can get. But then by broadcasting background gives me some advantage in relation to understanding sound problems.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back