is chimney breast left in upstairs a real major problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The chimney breast was removed downstairs kitchen approx 30 years ago but not above in bathroom....How serious is this? I know it can be put right and this part has not moved in 30 years. I dont know what extra supports were put under the floor cos it was like that when we bought house. The breast above is approx 12" x 28", would it be expensive to remove?

House due to be surveyed on Friday......dunno what surveryor will say?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have the same thing in my house and would be really interested to know if you find out any useful info

Thanks Sarah

It's not a real hazard as every other brick in the chimney is keyed into the wall that it butts against.

It can usually be removed up into the loft and secured up there.

Surveyor didnt mention a thing about the breastvin bathroom, only prob was the estate agent valued the house at 180k, surveyor valued at 160k....buyer not too pleased

Sponsored Links
The agent is working for you, the surveyor is working for the buyer so always undervalues it. What really decides the value is what price similar properties have sold for recently.

Then it's worth what someone is willing to pay. The surveyor simply dreamed up an amount.

i guess u r right, it is being surveyed again tomorrow so it will be interesting to c what he comes up with..

yep i agree with joe
your houses "only value" is what you can get for it

the estate agents value is only a guess well educated or otherwise
almost certainly with 5 to 10 thousand added on to massage your ego and feel good factor to get the commision

the surveyors valuation is again a well educated guess or otherwise but with less to loose as he has already been paid

if the market is in your favour you will get nearer 180k
if the market is against you you will get nearer 160k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back