Is circuit/wiring for Hob ok?

Sponsored Links
Vulcanised Rubber.
Under the braiding, (that cotton stuff), it will be rubber not PVC showing that whoever 'rewired' it last time certainly didn't test it or get the incoming supply cables brought up to date.
I would recommend an immediate PIR for your own peace of mind. Heaven knows what lurks under your floorboards/inside your ceiling voids.

Well, without taking the CU to bits again tonight, couldnt tell you if its rubber but its obviously not new!

As for the wiring, the rest of the house does have pvc t &e for sockets, lighting etc (i know this as have installed downlights in a few bedrooms)

There certainly is a good possibilty of inaccessible junction boxes etc because whoever rewired previously (must be 25 yrs ago before we moved in) probably didnt pay much attention to that if the tails werent updated at install.

I am in the process of getting the LABC combined with housing renovation to check eligibilty for grant work which will incluse work up to £20000 to bring the elctrics up to date etc etc.

In the meantime....been advised that a new RCD ring for the kitchen would take the hob off the CU (wired in to the shower MCB currently and i dont know who did that bodge job) and allow me to carry on with my kitchen install.

Things are never straight forward....im about to tear out some more of my hair and have a large beverage! :LOL:

what i can tell you, is that the meter was changed in 2002 by the leccy board....would it have been their responsibility to update the tails or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Just feel like i wanna :evil: pick up the phone and rip someones head off !

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry I haven't replied earlier.

Ignore what I suggested about the incoming Neutral tail, since I now know the tails are VIR (the pictures given are ok) and unlikely to be in good condition as others have said. The tails are also more likely to be 50+ years old than 25+.

what i can tell you, is that the meter was changed in 2002 by the leccy board....would it have been their responsibility to update the tails or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Although the meter is owned by the Electricity Board, the outgoing tails are the responsibility of the householder (whereas the incoming tails from the cutout are that of the Electricity Board.

Regards

Thanks Clitheroe

Well, seen as how the property is a 1934 semi, i would agree with your assumption on age! Ive been here 18yrs - nothing been done electrical wise apart from me putting in some upstairs downlighters several years ago.

I do now know of some socket work which was carried out on our behalf prob 10-15yrs ago. We required additional sockets due to the lack of them.
Additional ones were added but now i know that they are spurs off spurs so thats not good either!

Seems like the whole lot is a nest of rats.

To think, if i hadnt planned to renovate my kitchen - i would have still been blind to the fact that not only are there various problems with the CU, sockets etc but the bloody pipework or gas meter hasnt been bonded either! - things go from bad to worse :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back