is fused spur necessary for alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking at a Visonic alarm though as a diy'er I realise this is not encouraged.

Some of their systems come with a Euro 2-pin plug and some without a plug.
What little info I can find suggest that both should be wired via a 3 amp fused spur.

Why is this necessary?, is it just so that you can't accidentally turn off the
alarm which leads to the siren going off at some later point or is it that it just makes it harder for the burglar or is it just so it can conform to some standard recognized by insurers.

Is it unsafe or illegal to just fit a 3 amp UK plug and put it in a socket.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
I would have thought it was so the drug-crazed burglar couldn't just unplug it while he rifles through your valuables!

He could simply take the fuse out. A plug is fine but looks DIYish.

Thanks.

Well hopefully the alarm will have gone off prior to someone actually reaching the control panel.

Even if they unplug/pull the fuse/cut the power wire, the alarm is backed up by battery so should still work. Then even if they smash open the panel I believe the outside siren should still be set-off/carry on.

Anymore thoughts on other reasons for fused spur? Regulations?

Mike

Sponsored Links
You usually need some sort of rudimentary tool to remove the fuse from an FCU. I wouldn't wory about Billy Burglar powering the system down; I'd be more worried about the kids unplugging it to charge their iPhones, the builders to charge their drill batteries or the cleaner/wife to plug in the hoover!! :eek:

You should get some sort of power-fail/mains-fault when this happens. Then 12-24 hours or so of peace as the backup battery runs down and then the sounder goes off - and you can't stop it! The Law of Sod states that this will happen at 4 o'clock in the morning!! This is not the best time to be trying to find out if it was unplugged yesterday.

Chop the plug off and wire it into an FCU - you know it makes sense... ;)

Chop the plug off and wire it into an FCU - you know it makes sense... ;)
I take your point.

Trouble is I've not confident about fitting an FCU having read some stuff on regulations, building warrants if in certain places etc.

No kids and it'll be plugged in to a somewhat inaccessible socket so should not get removed by accident.

Thanks
Mike

You could always find some old red and black twin and earth and then no one would know that it had been done after the rule changes... ;)

If you are not confident fitting an FCU then don't do it. Electricity can kill.

By convention a fixed appliance such as an alarm gets permanently wired into an FCU and a portable appliance such as a toaster gets plugged into a socket. Its normal practice, not a law or a rule. An alarm will work on a plug and a toaster will work if wired into an FCU.

Just fit the correct size fuse (3A) into the plug of your alarm and it will be fine.

Pcaouolte, you just reminded me - the old RedABC (ancestor of RedCare) used to use a plug top with "DO NOT UNPLUG" written on it! :LOL:

How's THAT for security?

Gone on, Mike, use a plug and 3A fuse... ;)

It is always sensible to err on the side of caution, fit it.

By convention a fixed appliance such as an alarm gets permanently wired into an FCU and a portable appliance such as a toaster gets plugged into a socket. Its normal practice, not a law or a rule. An alarm will work on a plug and a toaster will work if wired into an FCU.

Just fit the correct size fuse (3A) into the plug of your alarm and it will be fine.
Thanks that's what I suspected/hoped.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back