Is it just me who thinks this forum is often belligerent?

Sponsored Links
Once again, I get mentioned in a thread that I had no part in, but for a campaign, that I wish would get more notice.

I created a thread about the riots, but was told in the first post to 'read the news', so how did I know of the issue?

There have been experiments done, myself included, but not on this site, where you can write any old tosh, then 4-6 threads down, arguments start, then 8-12, anarcy breaks out, and someone refers to a dictator. Then the thread descends into yeah, but no, but yeah but no.

There is a name for it that I forget.

Then there is the honour badge posting, where someone sees themselves as an important member, a long standing member, but someone new posts something, and a newer member provides advice, which is valid, and answers the question, and the newer member gets a thumbsup, which leads onto the 3rd posting mistake, if someone states their life online, and posts late, so in the morning you see most topics fed by one person, you feel the need to re-answer those posts, by pulling them to bits, by criticising the spelling, but not answering the post.

The other point is that certain people on here, see certain red top papers as the truth, and due to low IQ, see that as read. Or red to a bull...And will defend the lies they read, to the max, without seeing the other side of the coin, or accepting, that just maybe, there might be a different side to the coin?

Thanks for posting this thread, and it depresses me hugely because this is such a useful and otherwise interesting forum and you are correct. I would spend a lot more time here, and have a lot of knowledge to share as well as learn from others, but the flaming and personal attacks from what is really quite a small minority turns what should be a fun thing into something to be endured - so I only skim now, check for latests posts once a day and click on a few headlines that seem interesting. More than that and I get depressed at the selfishness and egoism. I feel the "Keyboard Commando" syndrome is very strong, and some posters spend far too much time replying to seemingly every thread without asking themselves whether they are adding value.

I don't even think it's possible to improve it - those involved who take delight in upsetting others, or insisting - aggressively - that their way of doing something is the only way and any other methods are wrong, are clearly committed to their course and aren't going to change their ways, nor will mod action work without it becoming a police state. Give people freedom and sometimes that gets abused. I've only been here a year or so, and it's been like it all that time. Initially I thought I could rise above it, but then I started getting attacked too, so I dropped out of sight for a while. I'm sure others have done the same. I used to be involved in the uk.d-i-y newsgroup heavily well over a decade ago and recognise many of the people here from that - but even on the wild and totally unregulated newsgroups, people had more respect for each other than some do here.

I'd also happily ignore the non-DIY parts of the forum if that was possible, but obviously they're used by others so I'm happy to skip over them manually if it's not possible by removing them from my profile. (Is that possible? To select groups not to show under new posts?)

My sentiments exactly digdilem! I couldn't have put it better.

Many of my posts here were when I engaged in a game which ultimately became a tease or p1ss take of me from, what I saw as, veteran members.

Maybe I cultivated it in some way with my personality or posting style although I can't say it happens in quite the same way elsewhere so I don’t know what to conclude from it, or rather I can only come to one conclusion.
action-smiley-088.gif

I’ve even been criticized for posting smilies here. I mean they were invented precisely to convey the meaning of posts FFS and help prevent any misunderstanding where real body language can’t be used.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to have mentioned you by name MM. I am just speaking as I find and that is all. It was not a personal attack on you, I don’t know you from Adam, and in hindsight maybe I shouldn’t have said anything. It is just a personal observation on my part. On a different forum I frequent even if a troll comes on with a valid point he/she is not attacked. If there is any ad hominem it is quickly highlighted.

FWIW I think your post on this topic is very good; so far... ;)

Yes apologies MM from me too.

You do have to be thick skinned to stay on here, but why give in to bullies,
I enjoy the word games and some of the posts are really worth a look and a comment ..... maybe you just have to sort out the 'wheat from the chaff'

Hope this makes sense ....forgot to put my contact lenses in :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I accept your apologies, maybe I do type too indepth, and the usual suspects are not able to understand that, I keep reporting the abuse towards me, maybe not everyone does, but surely, as everyone knows of these forum thugs, name and shame and boot them off for good, instead of them setting up a rival website, to slag members of this website off? And ban them for life, rather than them continually joining with a different username, but the same agenda?

Maybe some of the admin are the people that receive the 'report abuse', and that's why nothing seems to be done? The admin hide away, although they do do a good job generally. But not quite enough, otherwise this thread would not exist.

It was an interesting read, to join the breakout group of disaffectionate people, posting stuff about me daily, on another website, while at the same time being nice on another site..Shows the measure of people, and how silly some people are. Name and shame?

Well I was meaning the New Sentence game ..... I was so impressed with 'dichotomy' ......had to look it up in the dictionary :LOL: A nice addition to my Scrabble list.
However, Big Tone made a brilliant contribution to The Never Ending Story, which was very much appreciated, and yours too of course :) :)

I dont come into this area of the forums often but i am appalled and disgusted at the level of venom and hatred, as well as Islamophobia and propoganda against Muslims on on topics, in particular the ones about Halal Meat, and Shariah Law. The amount of ignorance on these topics, and downright hatred against those from the Islamic faith is completely unacceptable.

I cannot believe the mods allow these topics and the manner in which they are discussed to remain here.

It takes 'all sorts' I guess.

Many regulars made themselves look like idiots when disagreeing with ellal's stance on how a PO was shot. He was lambasted for his opinion, and IMO rose above it. I admire him/her for that.

Riots

Unfortunately (as ellal pointed out), people with a similar number of brain cells decided to cause rampage across England.

It sums up the forum at the moment. You cannot have an opinion without 'pack animals' forcing their opinion upon you - without any consideration as to why you may disagree.

Playground bullies that have failed to grow up possibly? Who knows.

I dont come into this area of the forums often but i am appalled and disgusted at the level of venom and hatred, as well as Islamophobia and propoganda against Muslims on on topics, in particular the ones about Halal Meat, and Shariah Law. The amount of ignorance on these topics, and downright hatred against those from the Islamic faith is completely unacceptable.

I cannot believe the mods allow these topics and the manner in which they are discussed to remain here.
I think it’s more about balance and fairness on both sides IronNaz.

I’m quite certain you know your faith far better than I ever could but what people like me see is the negative aspects, like sexism for example. I hope I am not wrong but is it not the case that if a woman gets raped she is the one at fault for ‘allowing herself’ to get raped and it is she who suffers the consequences?

Also, is it not true that the punishments favour men more than women whereby the stronger sex is buried up to his chest yet the gentler sex up to her head? It's pretty obvious who is more likely to escape from certain death...

What you have to understand IronNaz is that if this is in fact true then it is offensive to our Christian-based culture and our way of life just as some of our ways may be offensive to your culture and your way of life.

I’m not having a go at you and, if I am wrong, I welcome your answer to put me right.

This might be going off topic a bit but maybe it can serve as an example of understanding and argument, (in its true sense), without ad-hominem.

Edit: I see it's already being debated elsewhere

Big Tone";p="2078381 said:
I’m quite certain you know your faith far better than I ever could but what people like me see is the negative aspects, like sexism for example. I hope I am not wrong but is it not the case that if a woman gets raped she is the one at fault for ‘allowing herself’ to get raped and it is she who suffers the consequences?

This is not true. This is a common myth that has been passed around so much people feel its reality. Its a case of tell the lie often enough and people will believe it.

If a woman is raped, the fault lies with the man and the Islamic punishment is execution for the rapist. This is the correct Islamic position on this issue.

Also, is it not true that the punishments favour men more than women whereby the stronger sex is buried up to his chest yet the gentler sex up to her head? It's pretty obvious who is more likely to escape from certain death...

Again this is not true. The punishments are exactly the same for both people. HOWEVER did you know 4 witnesses have to see the act of penetration? this pretty much makes it impossible to convict anyone of adultery etc.

in the first 200 years of Islamic Rule in Arabia, there were only 4 cases of thieves getting their hands cut off? Why? People feared the punihsment hence didnt engage in thieving.

There are so many misconceptions and ideas about Islam, almost all spread maliciously by people with an axe to grind against the faith.

There are so many misconceptions and ideas about Islam, almost all spread maliciously by people with an axe to grind against the faith

What an absolute load of rollocks.....

If you want people to integrate.... when in Rome......

Sponsored Links
Back