Is it possible to put a camera (possibly hidden) on my front door?

Sponsored Links
A peephole camera or similar to those in “secret camera” clocks or such would work. Often they are motion triggered.
Legally you’d be on tricky ground.

However, 20 years ago or so I fitted a camera for a mate. She has a second floor flat with a big landing outside. The landing is effectively only for her flat, as the stairs up to it only lead to her landing/ front door.
infitted a shop type PIR to beep when someone comes upstairs, and a camera that views outside.
She had thought that she heard people outside her door and preferred to not open the door to find out.
There was a peephole, but its coverage was sucjh that someone could hide.
my camera covered the whole 10-15 square metre space.
Would the peep hole camera go where my current peep hole is? Or need to drill another hole?

Could I fit a camera, possibly hidden to record who comes to my door? I have WiFi (inside flat) and there's a plug socket on the upper right hand side of the door.View attachment 328933View attachment 328934

Why do you need to do that in the first place?

Years ago I fitted a Yale peep hole camera for a customer, his wife was rather short. On the interior of the door, they had a LCD screen that she could see, it didn't have recording options but, as others have said, they do exist.

Sponsored Links
Would the peep hole camera go where my current peep hole is? Or need to drill another hole?
Why would you not just use the existing hole? I daresay it may need enlarging, I would also hazard your entry door will be a fire door so that should be considered too, technically.

Can you get a light fitting with a hidden wifi camera inside it?
Put it over to the right of the socket so the camera hole is pointing at your door, wire it to the socket.
No one will care if its actually on or not, I dare say anyone will ever actually notice it.

Get a gnome for your doorstep, no one will suspect a thing

Attachments

• pazo425r97911.jpg
    pazo425r97911.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 23
Bought a blink mini so can plug in. If I unplug the current plug will it mess up anything e.g. tv stuff before plugging in again with double adapter? Gotta hide camera too somehow
20240209_071411.jpg
17074629844704597532788009210654.jpg

do you get on well with your neighbour to the side ----if so ask him to turn on his tv using the aerial then switch off your power at the fuse box and see what happens if it knocks his tv out your on safer ground as your supply

So turn off the whole CU in your flat then check your own TV to see if it's gone West.

If it hasn't, then that socket is on the Landlord's supply.

So turn off the whole CU in your flat then check your own TV to see if it's gone West.

Would the TV still work, with all the power turned off?

I would expect the socket, to be a socket fed from the public stair lighting circuit, which it is adjacent to, or possibly a socket circuit located on the stairs - if there are other sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back