Is it possible to put a hot water tank in the loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new! Please don't hurt me!

We're just buying a new (much bigger) house, and the boiler looks like it needs upgrading. Also the hot water tak is in a cupboard of one of the small bedrooms.

In our current (2.5 bedroom) house we had a combi boiler put in when we moved in and lost the hot water tank all together. I was hoping to do the same for the new house (4 bedrooms) but we now have two young kids (baby and toddler) and people are advising me against the combi idea since they reckon it won't provide enough hot water for baths/washer/washing-up etc.

I would really, really like to free-up the space in the small bedroom though, so I wondered it the tank could go up to the loft (which is pretty big).

Is this a dumb idea? Any other suggestions? Is my combi idea definately a stupid one?

Thanks a million!

Adam

Sponsored Links
as long as you can get the header tank above the cylinder go for it

combis are good if they fit your lifestyle
they fit mine but hey i can repair it ;)

kevplumb said:

combis are good if they fit your lifestyle
they fit mine but hey i can repair it ;)

Ah, ok I understand I think!

Is there a design of hot water tank that doesn't need a header tank?

Sponsored Links
As kevplumb says:

I would add two words of warning (well several actually):

1) A full tank is very heavy. Think carefully about where you're going to stand it.

2) Your cold tank will be high up above the ceiling effectively cut off from rising heat. You will have to lag it well. Even so, if you leave the house empty for a prolonged period in sub-zero temperatures it could still freeze.

One way to alleviate problem (2) is to position the cold tank directly above the hot tank and lag the whole lot. (NB: The hot tank gets lagging within the lagging.) This will of course aggravate problem (1). Even so I would do it that way because it keeps the pipe runs short. I would probably play safe and stand the whole thing on extra joists between a pair of main beams (or one beam and a wall).

PS: A cupboard with a hot tank in it - even a well lagged one - is a great place to keep your towels. There's always a warm one handy. We would be lost without our airing cupboard. I hope you don't regret giving up yours!

Brilliant, thanks!

We would idealy keep the airing cupboard but for the fact that it's in the corner of one of the small bedrooms which we want to use for one of the kids. Moving the tank would enable us to free-up some space and also remove the potential danger of little-finger + hot tank.

The other options would be either a combi downstairs (this we are told will be pretty rubbish in terms of supply) or moving the tank to the other end of the landing (where there is certainly space) and building another cupboard for it.

The problem with that would be the need to take all the carpet up for the new piping I guess, plus the need for the actuall new piping...

I'm so confused.

:(

The problem with that would be the need to take all the carpet up for the new piping I guess

Having got the carpet up you might also find that (a) the floor is chipboard and (b) the joists run the wong way. S*d's Law doesn't do things by halfs! On the other hand ---

Have you worked out which way the pipes go now? It would be really nice to find that they come up at the other end of the landing and run under the floor to the bedroom cupboard. Must go. I think I saw a pig pass overhead!

Would you believe it ?! I`ve got a friend who`s doing the same thing....tank inloft.......and he`s going to ask his architect...so I`ll let you know the verdict. :)

Nige F said:
Would you believe it ?! I`ve got a friend who`s doing the same thing....tank inloft.......and he`s going to ask his architect...so I`ll let you know the verdict. :)

That would be so great!!

Thanks!

Adam

But the Architect referred him bact to the Structural Engineer :eek: ...You may have done the job before I get an answer...will let you know.

sorry if this has already been sugested but i cant be bothered to read all previous threads :confused:

you could always put an unvented hot water tank in and then you would'nt need a cold water storage tank at all i personally prefer the Megaflo Range of these :LOL:

gazthepottertonengineer said:
sorry if this has already been sugested but i cant be bothered to read all previous threads :confused:

you could always put an unvented hot water tank in and then you would'nt need a cold water storage tank at all i personally prefer the Megaflo Range of these :LOL:

Ah, brilliant! Thanks!

Tank in loft ...yes I meant a megaflo :) But my mate`s got to go on a course because you need a certificate to install unvented tank/cylinder...and notify building dept. of council...because if you sell and the survey shows it as not registered.......bugger it all, I`m off to the pub.:cool:

Nige F said:
Tank in loft ...yes I meant a megaflo :) But my mate`s got to go on a course because you need a certificate to install unvented tank/cylinder...and notify building dept. of council...because if you sell and the survey shows it as not registered.......b*****r it all, I`m off to the pub.:cool:

and you think a fortic in the tank would be heavy :eek: you will definitely be looking at extra support for a megaflo.....and thats once you've worked out how to get it through the hatch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back