Is it worth changing this consumer unit?

If the regulation says "it must meet... 18th"

then the regulation does not describe what to do about non-compliances with the current edition of BS 7671. It just says it must be met.

Perhaps it should, but it doesn't. Does BS7671?

I wonder if this draft has to go to committee stage?

Sponsored Links
Odd that I only found a draft on the .gov.uk website.

Let us take the biggest example.

Installation does not have non-combustible CU; EICR states C3 for this - improvement recommended - not compulsory according to BS7671.

Does that meet the 18th BS761 for renting purposes?

Sponsored Links
An up to date plastic consumer unit is interesting. I can't recollect seeing any mention of using them in the actual regs but have read an IET note no need to replace, just check connections for tightness.

Let us take the biggest example.

Installation does not have non-combustible CU; EICR states C3 for this - improvement recommended - not compulsory according to BS7671.

Does that meet the 18th BS761 for renting purposes?
That's the $64 million dollar question. A rational regime would accept C3 items in the same way as MOT advisories. We'll see what happens.

The other, possibly even bigger one is properties wired with plastic trunking or surface-clipped cables that don't meet the new requirements for cable support in the event of a fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back