Is Jewson for retail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a deal I like at jewson and wondering if they accept walk in retail customers?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, I better take a picture of the paint and price then. I won't be happy if they charge me different.

Sponsored Links
yep, Jewson is retail, i often purchase DIY stuff from them , but as already said - make sure the price is what you will pay, often see quoted prices do NOT include VAT - ...... and not trade or minimum quantity

screwfix for example send me a paper offer sheet(s) - where the price is ex-vat - originally that was not clear, very tiny print in the item detail with part number , now they seem to put that info in large print on each page, so i have been caught out , what i thought was a good deal - only to arrive at store when 20% added........ needless to say I did not purchase, normally i would check, but i just checked the paperwork in the car as I was going past anyway , it was a deal on Dewalt organiser and Stanley Organisers

A good deal at Jewsons, I'd print it out and frame it!

Builders merchants don't seem to bother about the price, I suppose because for tradespeople it's just an overhead passed on to the customer and the "service" (in my experience this just seems to be excessive misogynistic banter - but I suppose they are a convenient one stop shop, do delivery and source fancy architect specced stuff for thick builders who can't use the internet) is deemed to be worth the massive mark ups.

If you're "doing it yourself" the cost of materials is pretty much your only cost so it's worth shopping around, but there is a massive misconception among the public that builders merchants are cheap.

I recently bought some stuff for my roof, I rang around for prices - hard work, "how much each for a roof tile and a length of 4.8m batten?" They don't have a clue, have to call me back, when I see the invoice I can see why - tiles are priced per thousand, sold individually but delivered in packs of 192, battens are priced per 100m, sold individually but delivered in packs of 10 and invoiced per running metre. If you buy timber from a merchant it's often priced per cubic metre. Concrete blocks are often priced per ten, don't ask me why!

And as for the dreaded VAT!!!!

IMG_20230210_091853237.jpg

Yea I never bother with them these days, jewson, travis all the usual suspects, Selco seem alright, prices on everything but I don't know how they keep going, absolutely massive one down here but always absolutely dead inside. Even my local independent trade place I'd like to use and support more but literally everything you have to ask the price for, I can't be doing with it.

OK, got the deal and the last tin. Paid £24, at half the going rate. There were other bargain nuggets. £3 (possibly excl vat) for silver yale lock cylinder. I didn't buy because I wanted the higher security one for changing the front door hardware to silver.

On first impression, they are better than wickes in terms of website accuracy and didn't waste my time.

A good deal at Jewsons, I'd print it out and frame it!

Builders merchants don't seem to bother about the price, I suppose because for tradespeople it's just an overhead passed on to the customer...
Jewsons, like Travis, are much more focused on trade accounts. A lot of walk-in trade is really small beer to them; after all how much profit is there in ten sheets of plasterboard and some screws over, say, a 16 tonne load of structural softwood? I've worked on trade jobs where Travis-Perkins was one of two or three main timber suppliers, and where their prices were acceptable, but this was down to our contract manager having negotiated a decent discount.

Trade accounts are always negotiated against defined ranges of products and purchase volumes. IMHO the big trade suppliers (or rather their sales reps) aren't that interested in accounts which aren't turning over volumes less than £40k to £50k. You'll find the smaller accounts get smaller discounts. Walk in and ask for a price, and well, it's pot luck

As to "thick builders who can't look stuff up on the internet", how about builders who have negotiated a reasonable discounts with a major supplier which has stock available immediately for collection and who are also giving 30 days of credit - as opposed to probably paying more, immediately, for products of potentially dubious quality? Just because you can't get a good price out of Travis et al you shouldn't assume the same is true for bigger fish

... but there is a massive misconception among the public that builders merchants are cheap.
Really? See my previous comment. I'm not saying that from your perspective it isn't the case, but from my (trade) perspective things are very different

Last edited by a moderator:
Selco seem alright, prices on everything but I don't know how they keep going, absolutely massive one down here but always absolutely dead inside.
Selco deliver. Even on smallish sites it simply isn't feasible or affordable to send someone out to collect materials (in fact it is very counter productive to collect anything) - instead you ring the contract manager and he or his staff find the materials for you and arrange delivery. So no need to ever visit

I thought Jewson was for rich people ? Their prices seem ridiculously high whenever I have compared them .

Who is cheap and who is expensive changes over time. I went in without preconceptions and got the best deal out there.

I once thought toolstation was cheap. Then, the next door screwfix was cheaper. It comes down to if you are willing to put in the effort. I thought selco was not so great. Then the other day, I found exactly what I wanted. Selco has better compatibility with the stuff used by house builders.

I was pleasantly surprised last year, Jewsons had the cheapest bricks that I needed for a new set of steps in the garden.
And absolutely astonished when the counter guy gave a final price even lower than the web price.
But usually they are a bit intimidating to deal with, and the pricing is so opaque that I cannot work out if it will be economic to use them.

Jewsons, like Travis, are much more focused on trade accounts. A lot of walk-in trade is really small beer to them; after all how much profit is there in ten sheets of plasterboard and some screws over, say, a 16 tonne load of structural softwood? I've worked on trade jobs where Travis-Perkins was one of two or three main timber suppliers, and where their prices were acceptable, but this was down to our contract manager having negotiated a decent discount.

Trade accounts are always negotiated against defined ranges of products and purchase volumes. IMHO the big trade suppliers (or rather their sales reps) aren't that interested in accounts which aren't turning over volumes less than £40k to £50k. You'll find the smaller accounts get smaller discounts. Walk in and ask for a price, and well, it's pot luck

As to "thick builders who can't look stuff up on the internet", how about builders who have negotiated a reasonable discounts with a major supplier which has stock available immediately for collection and who are also giving 30 days of credit - as opposed to probably paying more, immediately, for products of potentially dubious quality? Just because you can't get a good price out of Travis et al you shouldn't assume the same is true for bigger fish

Really? See my previous comment. I'm not saying that from your perspective it isn't the case, but from my (trade) perspective things are very different
The company I work for has just entered into an agreement where we projected spending upto £1m PA with them and for that we get a 70% discount

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back