Is my electric contractor correct. Pics. Worried.

... it's not like that's an old Wylex standard range board that can't be retrofitted or a board from one of those annoying manufacturers that keeps changing their breaker design, getting an RCBO to fit that board should be dead easy!
Essentially true, provided that one is experienced at working with spaghetti :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Oh ok, yep, reread.

Did the Napit chappy run a cable from that CU? Of was he just connecting to existing point?

... it's not like that's an old Wylex standard range board that can't be retrofitted or a board from one of those annoying manufacturers that keeps changing their breaker design, getting an RCBO to fit that board should be dead easy!

Kind Regards, John

Sorry, perhaps I could have phrased that a little better...

I meant obtaining an RCBO of the correct type to fit that board should be dead easy, as opposed to actually fitting it in amongst that mess! :p

Povided that one is experienced at working with spaghetti :)

Kind Regards, John

I used to jokingly tell one of my apprentices that electricity flowed better when cables were neat. It was always jokey, but think he took it a little seriously. Now he's out on his own, he keeps saying to me "you weren't serious were you?".

Sponsored Links
Sorry, perhaps I could have phrased that a little better... I meant obtaining an RCBO of the correct type to fit that board should be dead easy, as opposed to actually fitting it in amongst that mess! :p
Indeed - I fully agree with that re-worded statement!

Kind Regards, John

I used to jokingly tell one of my apprentices that electricity flowed better when cables were neat. It was always jokey, but think he took it a little seriously. Now he's out on his own, he keeps saying to me "you weren't serious were you?".
Yep, them electrons prefer to travel in straight lines :)

If the frequency were a lot higher, I suppose you might have had a bit of a case!

Kind Regards, John

does the meter cover allow access to the on/off switch ?

The meter cover hides the switch, but it's only a single pole disconnector, and it's not rated for on load switching, so not the sort of thing job public should be touching.

The meter cover hides the switch, but it's only a single pole disconnector, and it's not rated for on load switching, so not the sort of thing job public should be touching.
Undoubtedly all true but, on all counts, no different from what happens if the nice (wo)man from the DNO pulls the cutout fuse for you!

Kind Regards, John

Undoubtedly all true but, on all counts, no different from what happens if the nice (wo)man from the DNO pulls the cutout fuse for you!

Total news to me!

The only fuses I know of that have a restriction are 11kV pole mounted ones that are restricted to 315kVA connected transformer capacity

Regarding te isolator on the meter, they were an attempt to provide a separate isolator to customers, as some DNOs provide.

Never seen any restrictions on any of those either

Total news to me! ... The only fuses I know of that have a restriction are 11kV pole mounted ones that are restricted to 315kVA connected transformer capacity
What 'restriction' are you talking about?

Kind Regards, John

In that one case we do not open them above that load owing the the risk that any arc could contact earthed metalwork.

It makes quite a flash & bang (and that was on one feeding about 150kVA!)

This is from Aus, but something like these, this was trying to close onto a fault as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATEWXsMawMg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back