Is my electric contractor correct. Pics. Worried.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Had a local electrician to add a new connection for a new cooker
Friend who was visiting pointed out that all my earth connection are not correct.

He is saying I need an earth rod as all my earth are connected to a small block on the right of pic. He is asking me to get one installed.

Does my electric connectons need a separate earth connection rod. Thanks. View media item 94017

Sponsored Links
That is a common method of earth connection.
Unless it's defective (which can only be determined by testing), you do not need an earth rod.

Where is the cover of the consumer unit, and the cover on the right side of the meter? Both must be replaced immediately as live parts are exposed.

The rest is an untidy mess, but not necessarily dangerous.

He's wrong, you appear to have a TNS earth from the sheath of the DNO incoming supply.

Perfectly fine and safe

Sponsored Links
Thank you all. Put my mind at rest. The electrician was NAPIT approved.

So basically no need for an earth rod. The earth lug has got some play in it but not loose,as i feel he has tried to squeeze lots of wires in it.

I removed the cover of mcb board which i have now put back.there was no cover on the right side of metre,and electrician did not point out to anything.

Thanks again to all. Much appreciated.

Good grief. :cry:

The missing meter cover is the biggest priority to get sorted.

You need to ring your electricity supplier and report this with out delay.

Good grief. :cry:
Not one of yours, then. :)

I don't think anyone would own up to that one?
Even the newer circuits looks of poor workmanship!
To the OP,
Was this cooker connection a new circuit, any buried cable and or socket outlets included?

I cannot see RCD protection, that is why I ask, were any certificates issued to you?

The cooker is a range cooker ,gas with electric oven. The guy purchased a big chocbox by MK and has taken connection from it and installed a new socket in kitchen. There is no rcd as the electrician said that the cooker works on normal 13amp socket or smthing. Not sure what he meant

Not sure what certificate was going to be issued as the works do not fall under notified category.

Although not notifiable, does not exclude it from certification by the installer, also any new socket requires 30mA RCD protection, as does any newly buried cable within walls. So I don't think your electrician has complied to the requirements of BS7671 or Part P of building regs, the latter being a legal requirement!

13A does not mean anything, electrician talking from bumhole!
I would be asking them to comply to the requirements and regulations, they have broke the law.

any new socket requires 30mA RCD protection

...and there's really no excuse for not doing it here, (not that there ever is really) I mean it's not like that's an old Wylex standard range board that can't be retrofitted or a board from one of those annoying manufacturers that keeps changing their breaker design, getting an RCBO to fit that board should be dead easy!

What a mess.

Did he do any testing? Do you know the axe reading? More has that's triggered his rod obsession.

I hope if he rodded it, he would realise an RCD is required.

Why would he get you to sort the rod out?

Maybe the alleged electrician, who could not even be bothered to complete a minor works certificate or inform the client of the dangers of covers not being in place. Could not also be troubled by the exhausting task of testing the compliance of an RCBO?

What a mess.

Did he do any testing? Do you know the axe reading? More has that's triggered his rod obsession.

I hope if he rodded it, he would realise an RCD is required.

Why would he get you to sort the rod out?

I don't think the alleged electrician, mentioned earth rods, was a friend of the OP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back