Is my exentsion about to fall down ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice from those in the know. Bought house just over a year ago, had standard survey done - all ok.

The house has had a full height extension added in the mid eighties - this added porch, garage and bedroom+bathroom above the garage. Inside the garage there is a pillar that I'm worried about. Basically, a couple of bricks have been knocked out of the pillar to accommodate the rails for electric garage door. Not sure if this was fitted at time of extension or later.

Took some pics below. Can someone tell me, in their opinion, if they think this is structurally sound ? I have visions on the bedroom crashing down into the garage.

11smhki.jpg

Outside house - to the right is the full height extension, porch to the front

11tstc9.jpg

This is the pillar I'm worried about from inside the garage. The big concrete slab I'm assuming is taking the weight of the bedroom ?? Not sure it it goes right into the breezeblock at the side or whether the one brick is the only thing holding it up

dqq41w.jpg

Same pillar from the other side, ie where the garage door is just behind when taking photo

These two pics are the pillar on the other side if it helps
left pillar from inside garage
http://tinypic.com/r/2n0k4uq/6
left pillar from front of garage
http://tinypic.com/r/igdv14/6

Anyone ?

Sponsored Links
Can't see that going anywhere, looks like solid construction and a lintel that looks too meaty to shear just from having a bedroom on top.

Doesn't look like it's in imminent danger but obviously it's not ideal either. The concrete beam was originally sat on a 215mm bearing but cutting out the brick has reduced that down to 103mm. This has effectively doubled the stress on the bearing.

The issue isn't so much that the whole lot is going to come tumbling down overnight but That large loads on too small a small bearing will eventually cause the bearing material (the brick in your case) to deteriorate - i.e. crack and crumble. (Obviously if that starts happening run and get your tin hat immediately)

I can't really tell without knowing the exact loads involved but from your photos I would be happier to see some additional bearing to spread the load further. My suggestion, rather than trying to hack the lot out and place a padstone, would be to add some steel side plates bolted down the pier. Something like 100x8mm plates bolted 1m down would be fine.

Thanks for the info !

Do you reckon the lintel is sitting on top of the grey breeze block as well as that one brick, or do you think it's resting on that 1 brick only ?

If you look at the two links at the bottom of my original post, the pillar on the other side is 1 brick width wider - I'm assuming because this is taking all the weight at that side as that's the original outside wall of house.

If it was into the breezeblock at the other side I'd be much more comfortable.

Also - do you reckon a builder could look at this and let me know if it's safe or would I need a structural engineer or something ?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Roller Garage Door :idea: Pillar made good....house re-sale no probs ;) - sell the old up+ over on eBay

Roller Garage Door :idea: Pillar made good....house re-sale no probs ;) - sell the old up+ over on eBay

Sorry mate, are you saying I bought this house on the strength of a bloody remote control garage roller door ? A garage my car has never even been driven into ?

Apologies if I'm taking it the wrong way but, if not, do you have anything helpful to add ?

To everyone else - would appreciate if you could say, in your opinion, if the lintel is sitting on the one brick or the breeze block + one brick. Many thanks.

hes basically saying theres not a great problem, and offering a solution to avoid problems for when you come to resell it (youll get used to nige :LOL: )

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Could drill/chip away a small section of the block to see if the lintel really does continue past it. Probably the only way to find out unless you have the plans.

If not, then the steel plate option sounds the best solution to me.

Your early warning will be when the unsupported brick falls out. Hope there is no-one stood underneath when it does.

Would suggest you fix this or remove it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back