Is my flat roof leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had this on my walls inside the corner of my bedroom. Is the roof leaking? It's right near the downpipe (which isn't blocked ) and I had a similar problem on the walls near the downpipe at the other side of my house.

Does my flat roof need repairing or a new one laid? It is moisture, right?

Cosmetically, do I just sand and paint?
20200317_104206.jpg
20200317_104514.jpg
20200330_150921.jpg
20200330_150939.jpg

Sponsored Links
Two things in life are certain; you pay tax and flat roofs leak.

The felt must be leaking because the damage is on the inner leaf. You need a flat roof company to look at it. Modern felt don't need stones on them, so it must have some age. Life span is normally 15 years.

If it was mine, I would strip the roof, take the parapet wall off, fit trusses and tile it off. Only because it wouldn't cost me any labour.

As for decorating, rub down, Zinsser primer-sealer stain killer then emulsion.

Is the roof leaking?

its hard to be sure, but the staining below the cornice indicates water or damp getting through the inner skin -implies a roof leak.

the window head and reveal indicate a leak into the cavity -which could be caused by a leaking parapet.

without further investigation its hard to know whether the cause is a fault with the flat roof felt or the parapet detailing.

OP,
Its none of my business that you seem to be a handyman learning as you go - taking knowledge from people who advise you on here, and then practicing for pay on the public.

But after detailed suggestions and advice from various responders you then vanish leaving those who've helped you, & those DIY'ers who have followed the threads, no wiser as to what happened next?

Sponsored Links
It's none of my business either, but your flat roof leaking is down to the freeholder of the block of flats. How did your parent's drain job go. ? are you a handyman preying on the public?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's none of my business either, but your flat roof leaking is down to the freeholder of the block of flats. How did your parent's drain job go. ? are you a handyman preying on the public? or as perplexed by bobarsed as many are here ? Please don't disappear, it upsets him?

Well we as leaseholders need to contact the property management company and organise roofers to fix it. I'm asking because i dony trust tradesman to a) price it fairly and b) always be trusted. I will communicate the roof problem with another director. But the more opinions the better on any issue in my opinion.

Obviously I'm gonna do the painting though myself

OP,
Its none of my business that you seem to be a handyman learning as you go - taking knowledge from people who advise you on here, and then practicing for pay on the public.

But after detailed suggestions and advice from various responders you then vanish leaving those who've helped you, & those DIY'ers who have followed the threads, no wiser as to what happened next?

Normally no news is good news. All went well so I needed no more help. However, I'll bear what u said in mind and let u know how it went.

Well we as leaseholders need to contact the property management company and organise roofers to fix it. I'm asking because i dony trust tradesman to a) price it fairly and b) always be trusted.

Are you taking the pi$$? You are on a website asking tradesmens how to carry out handyman work for which you charge for.

But you don't trust tradesmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally Unbelievable!!!!!!

Andy

But the more opinions the better on any issue in my opinion.
f
I would go with the parapet caps allowing ingress of water - as mentioned before. I'm genuinely sorry for your bad experiences of trades. Unfortunately roofing and tarmacing do tend to attract the unscrupulous.

I would go with the parapet caps allowing ingress of water - as mentioned before. I'm genuinely sorry for your bad experiences of trades. Unfortunately roofing and tarmacing do tend to attract the unscrupulous.

Parapet walls have a dpc in them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back