Is my front door locking system secure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping to get some more expert opinions on whether the front-door multi-point locking system is secure in my new house, as something appeared off with me.

I still need to replace the euro cylinder within, however, when turning the key the multi-point locking system doesn't seem to react apart from a small click that sounds like it's from here (red square):

1689495785389.png

But I would have expected something like the bolt above (in blue) to retract or extend when it's locked?

The locking system appears to be an Avantis maybe a 750 but I'm not quite sure:

1689495926193.png

Any insight would be great as my knowledge of doors and multi-point locking systems is very poor.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The dead bolt (blue) should engage with the lock, as well as both the top and bottom hook bolts.

The red bit is the spring latch and should always be out - that's what holds the door closed if someone leans on it or there is a breeze. For a long time that's all that doors had.

This lock should also have a functioning dead latch - this is means the lock only operates when it is depressed. This is often source of confusion by many who push a closed door past the strike plate.

They close the door, hear a click, push the door to hear another click (which is the dead latch slipping past the intended depressed position on the strike plate) - leaving the door in a insecure state.

Test the door whilst manually holding the dead latch closed.

Also never share photos of your keys.

The dead bolt (blue) should engage with the lock, as well as both the top and bottom hook bolts.

The red bit is the spring latch and should always be out - that's what holds the door closed if someone leans on it or there is a breeze. For a long time that's all that doors had.

This lock should also have a functioning dead latch - this is means the lock only operates when it is depressed. This is often source of confusion by many who push a closed door past the strike plate.

They close the door, hear a click, push the door to hear another click (which is the dead latch slipping past the intended depressed position on the strike plate) - leaving the door in a insecure state.

Test the door whilst manually holding the dead latch closed.

Also never share photos of your keys.

Would the dead latch be visible in that first image? The door does lock and feels secure but I can't see anything that is a deadlatch (that I would have seen).

Essentially when I close the door and lift up the handle this brings the deadbolt out but doesn't lock. Turning the key then locks the door but I can't see anything that is actually a 'lock' which was my concern.

Also, noted and edited, schoolboy error.

Not sure if I'm misreading your post but with multi-point locking systems, when you lift the handle that engages the various locking points however that alone doesn't 'lock' the door. As you've said, turning the key then does that. In that sense, the cylinder is the lock.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if I'm misreading your post but with multi-point locking systems, when you lift the handle that engages the various locking points however that alone doesn't 'lock' the door. As you've said, turning the key then does that. In that sense, the cylinder is the lock.
My confusion is more that on another multi locking external door for example the key operates the deadbolt and that’s the “lock” as per the image below but the front door doesn’t do that.

IMG_8566.jpeg

Seems as the deadbolt comes across on lifting the handle but the door doesn’t lock until the cylinder is turned, but don’t know what that is actually doing.

Probably just a lack of knowledge on my part rn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back