Is my meter running fast?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
On the ones that I have seen, there are two fractional digits at the right of the display where yours has a blank space.

Very peculiar.

Mine has a single decimal but then it's one of the olde skoole mechanical ones.

I think they can be programmed to show 'up to' two decimal places. This one obviously was programmed to show none.

Well you may reckon that, but it wont change the fact that there isn't. Photo proof below:
To add to the confusion, it describes itself as a 'Watt Hour Meter" (not a "kWh meter"), but I cannot believe that a display with only 5 digits is in Watt-hours!

Kind Regards, John

On the ones that I have seen, there are two fractional digits at the right of the display where yours has a blank space. Very peculiar.
I wonder if it can be configured to display different resolutions?

Kind Regards, John

Probably, but I suspect you need some special tools and some inside knowledge.

I guess the watt hours refers to the fact that it does flash for every watt, so that is the finest level of granularity.

Well I turned the power off overnight for 8 hours, and the meter ticked over 2 kWh (it has just ticked over before I went to bed, so this is a minimum increase), as suspected based on counting the watt flashes.

I don't think there is much more I can do now. I phoned Scottish Power and they tried to claim that this was normal, and even after you turn off the power then some residual energy can still go through the meter. This may be true, but a residual 2 kW seems excessive!

They have agreed that they will send someone out to install a check meter, but as there are still unresolved disputes on my account due to several previous cockups from them after I switched, then this will probably not happen for several months...

2 kWh over 8 hours is an average of 250 watts load.

If the main switch was OFF and everything was isolated by that main switch then there is a "problem" with the meter.

There will be small trickle of current through the capacitive effect between the meter tails and the internal construction of the main switch. But that is at most a few hundred milliwatts ( less than 1 watt ) with long and closely bundled tails..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back