Is my tank big enough to get a bath full of water out of?

It's the tall thin cylinder that's the problem. No point in having a cylinder where the hot water stops well short of the bottom.

A short, stout cylinder, or a cylinder with one or two elements going in from the side (they are often used on Economy 7 type tariffs, as the bottom element can heat the whole cylinder overnight) will give more hot water.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,
OK, I have some answers to at least some of your questions:

- The cylinder is about 1200 x 400mm (Without getting into the cupboard or taking off all the insulation I cant get exact measurements)
- The tank is cold on the bottom third. (damn!)
- Heres a link top the images Ive taken of the fittings as requested. I presume some of these are overflow/feed pipes or something: //www.diynot.com/network/dllive/albums/15757
- As you can see, the thermo is set to 70 degrees
- There is no more room in the cupboard to fit a larger tank (unless I want to give over the whole airing cupboard)

So it seems like the element isnt long enough to heat the whole tank. Do you think thats a safe presumption? Looking at the photos, is it just a case of fitting another element in the bottom so the bottom half of the cylinder heats up?

Thanks for all your comments so far, greatly appreciated.

I'll ask again - is there anything on the immersion heater to indicate its size or a part/type number and the makers name?

is it just a case of fitting another element in the bottom so the bottom half of the cylinder heats up?
If it were me I'd get rid of the top IH, fit 2 Essex Flanges and two 11" IHs.

It's the tall thin cylinder that's the problem. No point in having a cylinder where the hot water stops well short of the bottom.
It's the short fat/tall fat/short thin/tall thin/balding/hirsute dimblebrain who (probably) fitted a too short IH that's the problem.

It's the short fat/tall fat/short thin/tall thin/balding/hirsute dimblebrain who (probably) fitted a too short IH that's the problem.

Bit harsh I feel, being a short fat bloke who happens to be a plumber. who fits one of your stereo-typical types :cry:

Perhaps we could blame the manufacturers for only providing a top entry immersion port std fare in most merchants would be 11 - 27 - 36 heaters.

check the length of the stat if its 7"ish it will be an 11" heater any longer then it would be a 27" most probably.
however if they really are a dimledbrain they could have used a 7" stat in a 27" heater then they really would be one of wot he said :)

I would doubt a 36" most
probably don't know they make them that long.

If the bottom 1/3rd is cold with progressive warming as you get to the top its prob a 27" incher

Sponsored Links
Bit harsh I feel, being a short fat bloke who happens to be a plumber. who fits one of your stereo-typical types :cry:
I don't think I stereotyped anyone. I thought I'd covered everyone. No, wait; Mr average weight, average height, I forgot him.

Perhaps we could blame the manufacturers for only providing a top entry immersion port std fare in most merchants would be 11 - 27 - 36 heaters.
Cylinder manufacturers will put whatever connections you want, wherever you want. 36" IHs - standard fare in most merchants? Doubtful.

check the length of the stat if its 7"ish it will be an 11" heater any longer then it would be a 27" most probably.
Check the OPs picture of the stat. It says IH-230. IIRC that's an 18" stat.

I would doubt a 36" most
probably don't know they make them that long.
There you go, dimblebrain, like I said. ;)

Only picture by the OP I see is the one of a cylinder pretending to hide.

never had a problem with getting a 36" of the shelf of my merchants!

you also forgot 'humourless prat' but oh well..... :rolleyes:

I best leave it to you experts......

you also forgot 'humourless prat' but oh well.....
I don't fit cylinders.
24.gif
24.gif

The OP posted a link to his gallery. That's where the stat picture is.

For some reason Charnwood seems to enjoy being unpleasant.

For some reason Charnwood seems to enjoy being unpleasant.
To whom have I been unpleasant? Some might think the inferrence that I'm a "humourless prat" is unpleasant, but I'm man enough to make light of it.

Don't be so 'precious'.

For some reason Charnwood seems to be unaware that he is being unpleasant.

Where was he being unpleasant? In fact, our resident counter jockey (neh retired) has always struck me as a very pleasant gent worthy of an afternoon's leisurely communion over some light ales exchanging tales of merchants and amusing questions posed by those that think they can but can't.

All I can see is people getting the wrong end of the stick.

let me butt in, I am no Heating Expert, but in my secondary school we were told that hot water always rises to the top, so fundamentally there is a flaw in your immersion heating tank, some clever heating dick placed the element at the top, so that the bottom of the tank would never get that hot, so to remedy the situation, place your element at the bottom, and then see the results, it would heat the whole tank.

This is simple physics, not requiring heating expertise.

OK lads I am now off to General Discussion threads, we have better things to talk about like Black Holes and so on, leave you to criticise me here, but if you get unstuck, you know where I am, or just PM me! ;)

Oh don't forget to place your cylinder thermostat at a strategically selected position! :LOL:

And I love you too, Dan. (The cheques in the post. ;) )

John's not happy because I blew his only-heat-three-quarters-of-a-cylinder theory out of the water.
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif

Oh, Oh, am I being unpleasant again? :rolleyes:
Ballet classes in the morning, John? ;)

It was called banter when I was a wage slave. Even jovial banter. Man-to-man stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back