Is someone pulling my leg.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of erecting my new decking and have just been told by someone that decking 'could' affect your council tax. They reckon that local councils are planning on doing arial fly pasts to see if anyone has large areas of decking. Am I being fed a load of old sh?? or has anyone else heard this? Thing is, not the get political here but less face it, they'll try and scre? us for evet penny and more to subsidise.....I'll shut up now and get off my soap box.

Sponsored Links
they can always use google earth :LOL:

did you know: in years gone by, some king (of england) actualy invented a tax for the number of windows people had?

for the non belivers see this

...and apparently that gave birth to the phrase ''Daylight robbery'' as people bricked up to avoid the tax.

Sponsored Links
Apparently it is in the pipeline somewhere down the road. I saw an article in a Sunday paper about it once.

bobnotthebuilder said:
of course it's true it was in the Daily mail. They wouldn't lie would they? ;)

Why pick on the Daily mail.......Tell me one newspaper that gives the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I,m waiting...................................................... :LOL:

champster said:
I'm in the middle of erecting my new decking and have just been told by someone that decking 'could' affect your council tax. They reckon that local councils are planning on doing arial fly pasts to see if anyone has large areas of decking. Am I being fed a load of old sh?? or has anyone else heard this? Thing is, not the get political here but less face it, they'll try and scre? us for evet penny and more to subsidise.....I'll shut up now and get off my soap box.

:D :LOL: :LOL: Load of cobblers !!

Apparently one idea is to eventually 'individualise' council tax bills by simply 'listing' different features - it makes it easier to stop appeals and complaints when you can't compare...

A bit like 'tax credits'..does anyone actually know how they are worked out - you can't compare with anyone since there will always usually be at least one tiny thing different..

Divide and rule is as true today as it's always been... ;)

You may be getting confused with the proposed changes to the council tax banding structure.

If it goes ahead it will mean inspectors will have legal right of access to inspect home improvements and adjust the banding accordingly.

It is being introduced because more people are improving their property rather than moving house due to the high housing costs and fees involved in moving ... Government lose out in stamp duty so they claw it back in council tax :LOL:

Garden improvements such as patios and decks are included I believe though I wouldn't lose any sleep about it as it may not happen ;)

megawatt said:
If it goes ahead it will mean inspectors will have legal right of access to inspect home improvements and adjust the banding accordingly.

And this is what they'll be presented with from us... ;)

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your request to enter my home to catalogue my private and personal details. I will be pleased to allow access at the stated date and time, subject to the following criteria, and subsequent completion of the attached forms.

Form1/Council/Billing.

We, ******** Council agree to pay any appropriate costs to Mr/Mrs ******* for time he/she has to take off work to be available for house inspection. We agree that this will be invoiced at £100.00 pounds per hour, minimum billing ½ day at 4 hours.

Signed _________________

Date____________________

Form2/Council/Disclaimer

We, ******** Council undertake not to hold responsible Mr/Mrs ******* for any injury or death occurred to any employees of ******** Council as a result of the presence of said employees on this property. Further, we understand that due to the unknown nature of hazards on the property of Mr/Mrs *******, we must attend a compulsory safety briefing before any site visit can occur. Safety briefings will last four hours, and will be invoiced at £100.00 pounds per hour, per person

Signed_________________

Date___________________

Form3/Council/Insurance

Please find enclosed copies of our liability insurance cover. ******** Council undertakes unequivocally to pay for, any damage or injuries that occur to Mr/Mrs ******* or his property as a result of this visit.

Signed__________________

Date____________________

Form4/Council/Personal details

All persons wishing to enter the property of Mr/Mrs ******* must fill in the following details. Only council employees who have filled in all of the following will be granted access to the property.

First Name/s

Surname

Home Address

Telephone Number

Mobile Telephone Number

Email Address

Any previous address in the past ten years

Please list all employees’ places of work as part of you ten year checkable work history

Religion

National Insurance Number

Institute of Chartered Surveyors member reference number

Inside leg measurement

No of children

Car make, model and registration number

Signed_________________

Date___________________

Please enclose copies of all qualifications back as far as GCSE/O-level.

Please enclose copies of your passport and driving licence

Please complete and return the enclosed Criminal Records Bureau Check form.

Please enclose the names of two referees who meet current passport application requirements who are not employees of the state.

That is BRILLIANT!

Everyone should copy it and use it...if it ever comes to it.

trazor, google earth pro images are not 8 years old and are regularily updated - watch out ther coming to get you :LOL: :LOL:

And ellal, you forgot to charge them for checking the references.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back