Is the oil supply to my boiler leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into this house in October which has oil-fired central heating which I have not used before.

The boiler is in the garage and the tank is in the back garden approx 5m away. The feed pipe is buried.

When I moved in I fairly regularly smelt oil around the tank and the area of the feed pipe; I wasn't sure if this was normal (fumes venting etc) or not. On Nov 14th I had 1000 litres delivered and this has already about 1/2 gone or maybe more - so 500 to 600 litres used in 7 weeks (albeit over Christmas and quite cold in December). I still smell oil regularly although I cannot see any evidence of leaks.

I don't want to dig up the pipe unless absolutley necessary as in his wisdom the previous owner has built a concrete block log-store over the route of the pipe :eek:

So a) is the smell of oil a concern and b) is the rate of use excessive? And combined does all the evidence point to a leak?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Usage is not excessive if you have your boiler on for 5 -6 hours per day and a med/large house.
If there is no visible evidence of leaks from pipework, there probably isn't a leak, but look for small weeps from joints and taps and filters.
What type of tank do you have? Steel, plastic? Do you have a sight tube gauge? This will have an open vent, and threr should be a vent on your tank. For reassurance, ask a local oilman for a check.

If you can smell oil you almost certainly have a leak. As for as consumption is concerned it depends how old the boiler is. To give you some idea we have an oil fired cooker/boiler and only normally run heating for 2 hours in the morning, the surplus heat from cooking plus open fire does the evening. 1000 ltrs does about 8 months. If you need to replace the pipe, and this is unlikely unless there has been physical damage, the leak being more likely to be a connection around the tank end, you can reroute around the offending building. (in saying that, the building has been erected over the oil pipe so it could well have been damaged)

Sponsored Links
Yep, makes sense to get a professional in.

It's a 4-bed house and we haven't been skimping on the heating so usage is probably par for the course.

thanks all

Put 20 psi pressure through the oil line. You'll soon know.
Quite a chance if a structure has been build over the oil line that
they damaged the line at the time. Not by much but to cause a slow drip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back