Is the "Smart" meter role out being done ready for another Winter of discontent.

.... they would not fit a gas smart meter unless I also had an electric one fitted, and two it seems even when fitted it does not show minute by minute use, so rather pointless.
They refused to fit a gas smart meter, so want not an option.
My understanding is that it's impossible to install a 'smart' gas meter without also an electricity one. Since (unlike the electricity one) the gas meter has no electricity supply, it does not have the ability to communicate directly with the outside world. They therefore rely on the electricity 'smart' meter to 'relay' information, the communication between the two meters requiring very little electricity (presumably battery and/or generated by gas flow) at the gas meter end.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
They refused to fit a gas smart meter, so want not an option.

You can have a Smart electric meter alone, but not a Smart Gas meter without the Smart electric meter. The gas meter has to feed readings to the electric meter, which then forwards both gas and electric readings on to the supplier. Power is a requirement for the communication, but the gas meter relies only on a long life battery.

Sponsored Links
So the big question, can I have a smart oil meter?
I've never hear of one of them. To be honest, I've never come across a domestic oil installation that even has a 'dumb' one, have you?

I've been trying for years to find a practical way of metering my LPG, to give real-time flow data, but have never really got very far.

Kind Regards, John

I've been trying for years to find a practical way of metering my LPG, to give real-time flow data, but have never really got very far.

Doppler flow measurement? I used it on a 6' diameter water pipe, for flow measurement.

Oil flow is easy enough to monitor, but you don't even need to do that, all you need to do is monitor the burn time, because you have a none modulated burn.
Is there some reason why oil burners can't be 'modulated'? Anyway, assuming they aren't, how does one monitor the burn time - by taking a feed from the pump's electrical supply?

I thought of doing similar with my (ancient and not 'modulated') LPG boiler. However, I then realised that whilst I could easily monitor ('electrically') when the heating system was 'calling for heat' from the boiler, that wouldn't tell me whether the burner was alight or not, since that was controlled thermostatically within the boiler. I suppose it would not be beyond the wit of man (or even me) to devise a sensor that would indicate when the main burner was alight (which I suppose could be based on a standard gas 'thermocouple), but I've never bothered!

Kind Regards, John

Is there some reason why oil burners can't be 'modulated'? Anyway, assuming they aren't, how does one monitor the burn time - by taking a feed from the pump's electrical supply?

I don't have one, never had anything to do with them, but I'm fairly sure the oil pump at least could be monitored for run time.

So the big question, can I have a smart oil meter?
Considering the reasons for rolling out "smart" meters, there's no point.
If all you are interesting in doing is measuring flow, just buy a flow meter that has some sort of electrical output and connect it to a suitable logging system.
Same thing applies, just go and find a flow meter with an electrical output of some sort. The only difference between your LPG and mains gas is that the gas vapour has slightly difference characteristics - so you need a meter calibrated accordingly, otherwise it's identical to one for mains gas. Without digging further into what meters are supported, here's some pulse modules to fit them.
Is there some reason why oil burners can't be 'modulated'?
I suspect that some can - to a limited extent. But mostly, it's a case of having a pump spray liquid oil through a calibrated nozzle into a forced air flow. If you try and change the flow rate, it affects the atomisation of the liquid - so slow the pump down/reduce the pressure and you get larger droplets that don't burn well.
Anyway, assuming they aren't, how does one monitor the burn time - by taking a feed from the pump's electrical supply?
From the pump, or for some, an internal solenoid.

At church the system is really simple - the external controls just apply power to the burner unit. When powered up (unless it's previously tripped out) it runs up the fan, turns on the high voltage spark generator, and opens a solenoid to let oil to the nozzle. As long as it lights, it'll continue to burn until power is removed.
I thought of doing similar with my (ancient and not 'modulated') LPG boiler. However, I then realised that whilst I could easily monitor ('electrically') when the heating system was 'calling for heat' from the boiler, that wouldn't tell me whether the burner was alight or not, since that was controlled thermostatically within the boiler. I suppose it would not be beyond the wit of man (or even me) to devise a sensor that would indicate when the main burner was alight (which I suppose could be based on a standard gas 'thermocouple), but I've never bothered!
Or, you could simply tap into the solenoid control to monitor when there's voltage applied. Likely to cause howls of "OMG, you're trying to blow up half the town" if you ever have a professional in to service it, but other than that there should be no problem. Some boilers have a "burner lit" indicator, so putting an opto-coupler in series with that would achieve the same result.

I must confess that I hadn't thought of that possibility - I'll look into it!

Kind Regards, John

Halfway down the page, ultrasonics basically doppler shift. It can be added to any none metallic pipe, without interfering with the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back