Is the water level in my new toilet too low??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted my new toilet and I feel that the water level in the bowl is too low. There seems to be a rim in the bowl that the water level should rise to but it is well below this line. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The water level in the pan is governed by the spill over level at the back of the u bend. If the pan is level and is not faulty then the level is what it is and you can't change it.

I did think that but it just seems very low. I heard that maybe a blocked drain could cause the level to drop. The cistern only seems to fill half way up also, could this have a bearing on bowl level?

It is possible that there could be some self siphonage happening. Try pouring a jug of water slowly in to the pan and see what level this settles out at. If this level is higher than you get after a flush, then there could be a problem with the configuration of your soil pipe and ventilation.

Sponsored Links
Ok i will give that a go. I did replace the waste pipe coming out the wall with a flexi to make it easier to install. This shouldn't matter should it?

I did think that but it just seems very low. I heard that maybe a blocked drain could cause the level to drop. The cistern only seems to fill half way up also, could this have a bearing on bowl level?
Yes and No - yes block , No cistern level ;)

Ok so if I was to have the flexi go up at a slight angle when it comes out the toilet should that help rise the water level in the bowl.

and perhaps cause "detritus" to run back into the bowl.

Just phoned supplier and they said that the toilet does have a low level that's just how theu come now. The cistern not filling properly is because of a limescale filter which I have been advised to remove as up here in scotland we have clean enough water not to need it.

If there is no limescale to filter, the filter could stay in place without causing a problem. It may cause the cistern to fill a little slower but it won't be the reason that the cistern only fills half way.

There sould be adjustment on the float height and a mark on the inside of the cistern to set the max level to. Modern toilets are designed for a maximum flush volume of 6 litres so will almost certainly contain less water than your old toilet.

it might not be limescale, but it could be grit or green specks from the pipes, especially if they're been disturbed when you fitted the new WC.

If it's fed from a tank, it might be clogged with spiders' legs or pigeon down.

these modern quiet valves can be very sensitive to particles in the water.

edit
if the cistern consistently fills half way, the float must be wrongly set.

A picture speaks a thousand words...Charnwood's picture should tell you all you need to know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back