Is there a difference between a fire escape window and a window with a large opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a window with fire escape and wondered if there was a difference?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are specific dimensions:

Fire escape windows must provide an unobstructed opening of at least 0.33m² with aminimum dimension of 450mm in height or width. The lowest part of the windowshould also be 800-1100mm from the floor.

The minimum 450mm size means clear opening, so if you opened the sash and measured the gap between frame and sash that got to be at least as big as 450mm.

There must also be a route that a person climbing out of the window can use to reach safety. That "route" can be a ladder put in place for the event. If the location of the window prevents a route being available then it probably will not be accepted as a fire escape window.

Are the hinges the same? I've got this window on a bedroom and want to order a similar one for a dormer loft conversion, if it qualifies as a fire exit.

IMG_3102.JPG

Sponsored Links
I have just had some old double glazed windows replaced by a very very well know double glazing company and the openings are no wider than the old ones and one of the windows is difficult to get out of because of what is outside and I would think that older people, including me, would have great difficulty climbing on to the inner sill to access the window. BUT the new windows do have stickers on them saying "FIRE ESCAPE." And yes I did get the FENSA certification although nobody came to inspect the windows other than the two guys that installed them.

Are the hinges the same? I've got this window on a bedroom and want to order a similar one for a dormer loft conversion, if it qualifies as a fire exit.

View attachment 131174

It looks a tad narrow to me, if the bricks are metric it makes the window about 1130mm wide which would probably make the clear opening a bit smaller then 450mm. It needs to be min of 450mm x 750mm or min of 0.33 metre squared and min 450mm in either height or width. If you can get the side hung sash to be that, then it will qualify. Otherwise you need slightly wider window, or set mullion to one side so you have equal sight lines rather than mullion central in frame.

Your not far off at all Notch (y)

This is that window:
IMG_3069.PNG

The loft one will have 3 slightly wider (650mm) windows and be the same style. I could easily climb out of that one.

I have just had some old double glazed windows replaced by a very very well know double glazing company and the openings are no wider than the old ones and one of the windows is difficult to get out of because of what is outside and I would think that older people, including me, would have great difficulty climbing on to the inner sill to access the window. BUT the new windows do have stickers on them saying "FIRE ESCAPE." And yes I did get the FENSA certification although nobody came to inspect the windows other than the two guys that installed them.
@pete50 the reason the openings are no bigger is because there is a ' get out ' clause in the regs that states you can replace like for like providing you don't make the situation any worse than what is being removed . So if what was taken out has exactly the same dimensions as what has been put back then they are fine. They have probably put Fire Escape hinges in, or even ' easy clean ' hinges that will allow the window to open 85-90 degrees. Fensa / Certass don't inspect every installation, only a percentage, the rest are ' assumed ' to conform through the competent persons scheme rules

@pete50 the reason the openings are no bigger is because there is a ' get out ' clause in the regs that states you can replace like for like providing you don't make the situation any worse than what is being removed . So if what was taken out has exactly the same dimensions as what has been put back then they are fine. They have probably put Fire Escape hinges in, or even ' easy clean ' hinges that will allow the window to open 85-90 degrees. Fensa / Certass don't inspect every installation, only a percentage, the rest are ' assumed ' to conform through the competent persons scheme rules

So basically what you are saying is that the regulations are an arse and not worth the paper they are written. I don't why I asked that question to be honest I already knew that most of the regulations foisted on to home owners are in the arse category.

As time goes on regs will change that's inevitable but when an opportunity arises where the latest regs can be applied then they should be, I think it' a massive cop out to say 'When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces', IMO if an opportunity exists to make it better then it should be forced upon the homeowner

That’s absurd, so a homeowner should be forced to fit bigger opening lights and end up with maybe completely unmatching or lopsided windows? Or how does that work for listed buildings where the windows are part of the listing? The regs as they stand are perfectly valid and sensible. If a homeowner wants an escape window he needs to ask for one.

It’s not a cop out it’s to protect our local architecture and environment (such that it is).

Or how does that work for listed buildings where the windows are part of the listing?

Listed properties aren't covered by building regs... the listing people overrule everything, hence you still get single gazing in a lot of listed properties and you have to abide by the materials and style they tell you.

The issue with this stupid ( in my opinion ) rule about replacing ' like for like ' and ' not making the situation any worse ' is that you can put a upvc window with just a 400mm drop fanlight back in a bedroom , if thats what you took out. How is that right ?? How can , potentially , someones safety be more important? Where is the ' duty of care ' aspect? Given the option , I always offer the customer the choice of changing styles to Fire Escape, whether replacing wood, ali or Pvc ... to me its all about ' Duty of care '

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back