Is there a god?

I was not really contesting what is written in the Bible regarding the time scale , quite possible 2000 years ago most people wouldn't know what a Million would mean, let alone a tens of Billion.

and if assuming you were right, then it is quite possible that earth may have had several thousand or even perhaps millions of civilisations before this current one came about may be 6000 years ago, who knows, the previous ones are buried under the current one, and previous to that even deeper, and those even before that may now be in a molten state under the crust of the earth. has anybody done any research on this?

Sponsored Links
I was not really contesting what is written in the Bible regarding the time scale , quite possible 2000 years ago most people wouldn't know what a Million would mean, let alone a tens of Billion.

and if assuming you were right, then it is quite possible that earth may have had several thousand or even perhaps millions of civilisations before this current one came about may be 6000 years ago, who knows, the previous ones are buried under the current one, and previous to that even deeper, and those even before that may now be in a molten state under the crust of the earth. has anybody done any research on this?

There has been loads of research on the history of our planet, however, as you are "Eyes Wide Shut" on the subject of how we emerged from the primeval swamp, it would be a complete waste of my time trying to educate you otherwise, first you would have to remove your blinkers and have a good look around you.

The two disillusioned evil men who carried out this heinous crime in Woolwich did so in complete vain in the name of God, who I hope will never forgive them, and I hope they will rote in hell forever.

They won't of course. We now know that there is no god, heaven or hell.

These murderers, however, are under the disillusionment that they are due to receive any number of virgins in their 'afterlife'. Therein lies the power of religion.

This quote from Physicist, Steven Weinberg, just about sums it up perfectly.

“With or without religion you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion.”

Never a truer word spoken!

Sponsored Links

“With or without religion you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion.”

What a load of absolute tosh.

Evil people will exist and do evil things regardless of whether they were exposed to religion. As for good people doing evil things - what does that mean? It just means they are more evil than those that are outwardly bad.

As for "is there a God?" Of course there is, when we need one.

What a load of absolute tosh.

Evil people will exist and do evil things regardless of whether they were exposed to religion. As for good people doing evil things - what does that mean? It just means they are more evil than those that are outwardly bad.

You didn't understand the quote at all, did you? Try reading it again but this time try and keep your anger under control long enough to fully grasp the meaning.

I'm not sure if this is genuine or sarcasm, perhaps you could clarify?

Never mind religion - I get my Strength through Joy :cool:

People will seek comfort in something that is not there and secretly pray to 'God' like when in extreme danger or when a child is lying in an operating theatre or when they have reached an all time low.

Often when people come out the other side of a dark moment the will say that they 'found God'.

Narrow minded folk look at the subject of spiritual things and immediately associate them with religion and wars. It's a pity there are so many on this forum.

People will seek comfort in something that is not there and secretly pray to 'God' like when in extreme danger or when a child is lying in an operating theatre or when they have reached an all time low.

It's 2/3 out of those for me, never felt the urge to "find" god. There are most definitely "atheists in foxholes" in my experience.

Narrow minded folk look at the subject of spiritual things and immediately associate them with religion and wars. It's a pity there are so many on this forum.

If by "spiritual things" you mean Human emotion, resolve, determination that sort of thing, then I've no problem with that. I myself have been subject to that "warm and fuzzy feeling". However, most people that I know who refer to "spiritual things", do actually mean it in a religious context.

As for religion and wars...where would you like me to start?

Well the universe is expanding all the time, so if it is gods brain he must be a big headed b*gger by now.

How can a universe expand? What is it expanding into?

How can a universe expand? What is it expanding into?

I see you're quite good at asking questions the answers to which we're not fully aware of and maybe never will be. How does that help you or anyone?

Does postulating your god of the gaps explanations for things yet unknown, in any way satisfy your sense of curiosity as to how they really came about? Personally I'm quite content with the idea that I/we may never know the answers to some of these questions.

"How can a Universe expand?"... A god done it. See, that was easy wasn't it? No PHD in Astrophysics or Cosmology required!

Sponsored Links
Back