Is there a reliable flush mount ceiling occupancy sensor anyone could recommend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve just installed a new bathroom with PIR switch for the ceiling lights (and fan). I’m now on my THIRD sensor due to one problem or another!

1st sensor - ebay cheapy - randomly made one LED light flash at high frequency, and just affected one light but again in a random order.
2nd sensor - Autenco with face mounted time/lux controls - triggers lights when front door of the cottage is opened, even with the bathroom door closed.
3rd sensor - unbranded - still triggers when there’s a bit of wind from the front door - and the bathroom radiator is not on, so that’s not to blame.

Would anyone be able to suggest a decent brand/model to use? Needs to be flush mount and I don’t think Steiner do one. It’d preferably need sensitivity adjustment and I don’t mind paying for something that works as I’m fed up keep pulling these things out my newly finished ceiling!

l’ve got another bathroom with two Autenco’s in parallel (big room) and that doesn’t ever get affected by draughts/radiators, so I’m puzzled if I’ve just been unlucky with duff ones this time around?

Also - I think the CPC is required to be terminated within the fittings now according to the regs, but none of these have an E terminal.

Cheers,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi,
If your sensors have a domed cover, you can experiment with placing electrical tape over some of the sectors to stop spurious activation.
Once you are happy, replicate the tape pattern on the inside of the dome, for a neater appearance :)

Good idea I'll try with some tape today as it's especially windy out there right now.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you’ve installed microwave detectors if they are triggering with the door closed. You would maybe be better off installing a PIR detector instead. As already mentioned, timeguard are a good make. I look after a site with lots of them an they seem very reliable. Also they use relay switching rather than SSD so shouldn’t cause any problems with LEDs flickering and flashing.

Yes they're definitely PIR's and not microwave ones, I've heard microwave ones can be triggered from the floor above and so I can't see any reason for anyone to use them domestically.
Current one is a Sebson brand PIR and refuses to even turn on today - Lord give me strength! (wiring is all OK and I rebooted power). Very first unit was relay based (could hear it click) so I can't see why it would make the lights flicker sometimes (and they were Aurora brand LED's which I think are pretty good ones).
I wasn't too keen on Timeguard due to problems I've had with their previous other items and was hoping for something a bit more higher end that I don't mind paying for if it works reliably, as it's costing me a lot of money trying all these various cheap things - but I'll give Timeguard PIRs a second chance if that's what the general consensus is though.

Right then, I’ve just bought a couple of Timeguard SLFM360N PIR detectors. Looks encouraging as at least they’ve got CPC connectors to terminate the wire inside the fitting! Only time will tell and it’s not been very windy today so will update with what I find……..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back