Is there a way to lower sensor distance in solar-powered light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I bought myself 2 solar powered lights for the side of the house, both pretty bright and seem decent, tested both prior to putting on the wall and both worked fine.

Link to the ones i bought below:

Link

The one that's in the back part of the garden comes on very bright when it gets triggered, which is good. This one doesn't get triggered very much, so assume the battery is pretty high most of the time in it.

The brightness of the one at the front of part of the side of the house is a lot less since putting them up.
I have also found (which I didn't read when I bought them) that the range is 5m, although when walking on the footpath 2 houses away keeps triggering it. It says 5m range, but it must accept a little more than that, I would say it's more about 7-8m when I get to their house.

The lights were stuck up using bonding tape, so I don't really want to take it off, and it look all a bit rubbish. The battery in the light is obviously being triggered all night every time people walk up the road. And this is obviously draining the battery.
The main purpose was only to offer a bit of extra light when we go out of a night to do bins etc

There is no switch to change the sensor range, so I wondered before I pull it off the wall. Do I have any other options to lower the range on it, or even block a certain direction from triggering it?
Unfortunately, the sensor seems pretty good, but is also on the small side.

Regards

James

Sponsored Links
Is the detector part of the light? Or is it a separate unit, even if part of the assembly?

my mains one has a sensor that you can mask with black tape, or swivel away from a path.

a bit off 50mm wide gaffa tape 15-20mm on the section below the solar panel bit to make a cap overhang and see what happens and extend or shorten with further tape and once you know what works then replicate with perhaps plastic card

Sponsored Links
Or some frosted/opaque adhesive tape over the sensor ( presume that is the white circular part ) more layers will reduce sensitivity more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back